Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Welcome to My Food Blog!

Welcome. I'm Rachel and I've created a blog to share my love of everything food-related to the world.

I'm not a "foodie" (whatever that is) or a food snob. I love a good five-star restaurant and a good ethnic restaurant. But I also love dives and diners and greasy-spoon-type places. I'm not a chef, a restaurant critic, or a professional food writer. I have no training. I just love to cook and I love to eat.

I am the kind of cook who derives a lot of satisfaction doing things myself. If I have the time and the confidence in my skills to do it from scratch, I will do so. I'm not against short cuts, but I do try to keep a limit on convenience foods in my kitchen. Cooking a good meal doesn't have to take long or be complex.

I don't like mass-marketed chains and fast food places. I believe in supporting "Mom & Pop" businesses. Food should originate from the person cooking it, not a corporation. There are some exceptions that I don't mind eating at once in a while though. It happens from time to time.

I don't eat seafood of any kind, peas, olives, blue cheeses, lima beans, certain types of wild mushrooms, and grapefruit. In generally my favorite foods are pork products, ice cream, pie, chocolate and anything covered in melted cheese (as long as it's not blue cheese). I have a weakness for fried foods too, especially fried chicken.

This blog will cover my recipes (my own and discoveries from other cooks), my thoughts on food and life, and reviews of restaurants I have eaten at. (I live in the NYC area, so I'm afraid the restaurants I talk about will mostly be in Westchester and the surrounding area though.) I will also welcome recipes from my friends, so please feel free to email me your favorites so I can share them.

I warn you though that I tend to cook in a free-form style. Sometimes I follow a recipe to the letter. Sometimes I tweak it. Sometimes I use it as a jumping point for me to invent a recipe, and sometimes I come up with things off the top of my head. That sometimes means that the measurements and cooking times I provide may not always be exact or perfect. Any original recipe I give comes with a warning. If I use another cook's recipe, I will tell you where to find the original if I can.

Oh, and I don't really like rhubarb pie that much. I just think it's funny.

No comments: