Pages

Friday, April 20, 2007

The First Dinner Party of 2007

I love giving dinner parties! It's a wonderful excuse to try lots of new recipes. I love spending the day in the kitchen cooking for people. I derive enormous satisfaction from it.

I often joke that I live to give dinner parties. It's funny how every once in a while I will be looking at new recipes and suddenly say to Kevin, "Let's have a dinner party. Whom do we want to invite over?" If there is an excuse out there to have people over, I will find it.

Tomorrow night Kevin's friends Bryan and Jenny will be coming over. It's a smaller party than what we usually have (I've been known to cook for 10 people at a time), but they're fun people and I know we're going to have a blast. They often bring their kids with them (3 sons in their teens), but the kids are staying home this time. On good side the kids are picky eaters, so that would have meant having extra food for them. On the bad side, the boys are just so entertaining. It's fun watching the two sons verbally abuse each other all night (although I'm not sure their mother appreciates the fact that I've been known to burst out laughing when they say something totally inappropriate).

The menu:

Appetizers:
Zucchini Pancakes
Mushroom Bruschetta (saute mushrooms with 8 cloves of garlic and 2/3 cup sherry, sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley)

Entrees:
Beer Braised Short Ribs (with side dishes below)
Crispy chicken cutlets (standard chicken breasts coated in flour, egg, and seasoned bread crumbs)
Sherry Cherry Tomatoes (my not-so-secret shame of using a Rachael Ray recipe)
Extra-creamy polenta (flavored with caramelized onions and mixed with mascarpone)

Dessert:
Brandied butterscotch pie (recipe can be found in this book)

Red and white wine to drink of course. I'm hoping this meal will be a winner!

No comments: