Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Krispy Kreme

I just don't get them.

If I were to put together a list of the most overrated foods and food establishments on earth, Krispy Kreme would definitely be on the list. Why does everyone think they're so great?

I was so excited to try my first one a couple of years ago. I am a huge fan of boston cream doughnuts, so that was the one I tried. The filling tasted off and the doughnut itself was just so small. Krispy Kreme fans said I ordered the wrong doughnut. It's the original glazed that's so incredibly delicious. Well, I have yet to see what's so delicious about them. Time after time I have tasted a glazed Krsipy Kreme and every time I've been disappointed. Today someone brought three boxes of original glazed into the office. I took the chance and ate one. It was still nothing special. Several coworkers made comments that Krispy Kreme is "lighter" than Dunkin Donuts. They weigh you down. I think it's the substance of Dunkin Donuts that makes me like them. I like the way biting into a Dunkin Donut makes me really feel like I have something nice and rich in my mouth.

The thing that's supposed to make Krispy Kreme so special is that you can get them hot. I will admit I've never had the pleasure of ordering them hot. However, if you have to heat a doughnut to make it tasty, I don't think it could have been that good to begin with.

I know there are better doughnuts out there than Dunkin Donuts. I have had some indepenent bakery doughnuts that are outstanding (St. Moritz in Greenwich makes doughnuts that taste like pure butter). I just don't think Krispy Kreme is one of those better doughnuts.

No comments: