Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2007

My Favorite NYC Restaurant

Last night I went out for a belated anniversary dinner with my father and his wife. I told him that I really wanted to eat at Les Sans Culotte East. It is really one of my favorite restaurants in the world. Why? I will tell you in one word: SAUSAGE.

Les Sans Culotte is a classic French restaurant. The menu has the kind of dishes pulled straight from a classical French cookbook. There is boeuf bourguignon, chicken cordon bleu, escargot, steak frites, and duck with fruit sauce. The true standout here is the appetizer.

The meal is prixe fixe with everyone sharing the same appetizer (unless you pay extra). What an appetizer it is! The waiter brings the table a giant rack of sausage. Two kinds of long ropy sausages wind their way through the rack, while shorter dry sausage hang off the tiers. You just take your knife and hack off whatever you like and eat until you smile with joy. Repeat as necessary. Alongside the sausage are fresh bread rolls, mustard vinaigrette, homemade pate, spicy cornichons, and a crudite basket. This is no ordinary crudite basket. This is not a platter of chopped carrots and celery. In this basket is a bounty of fresh veggies and fruits. There are melon slices, plenty of whole plum tomatoes, an apple, a cucumber cut in half, a chunk of orange cauliflower, and yes, a stalk or two of celery and a peeled whole carrot. Having some of this on your plate definitely makes you feel more virtuous about what you're eating!

I was able to find a photo online of this luscious bounty.





My entree of beef bourguignon was tasty and traditional. For dessert I had a classic chocolate mousse. The prixe fixe menu has two dessert options of the mousse or creme caramel. Kevin, Dad, and Beth all chose the extra fee options of profiteroles and crepes. I was happy with my choice because although they all enjoyed their desserts, the desserts were HUGE. The mousse was a perfect portion. After all of that food at dinner, a huge dessert is a lot to deal with.

Service is pretty good. You don't have to wait too long for anything. The first time I came here was on Christmas and I have to say that I'd never seen people working on Christmas Day be so polite and kind. The owner had no problem with the fact that we closed down the place.

The cost of the dinner is $23 per person. The extra appetizers, entrees, or desserts will add another $7 to your bill for most of the special items featured. It is probably one of the best deals you can get in NYC. If you're in the city and want a really fun, tasty, classic and completely unpretentious meal, I would definitely recommend this place.

(Disclaimer: I took this photo from a blog called Eatinnyc. If you are the owner of the blog, I apologize for stealing your photo. If you would like me to remove it, please let me know.)

No comments: