Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

New Soup Recipe

With the cold weather coming, I have have been experimenting with lots of soup recipes. Soups are usually inexpensive to make, satisfying, and last a good long time. One pot of a hearty soup is lunch for a week. Sometimes I seek out other people's recipes and other times I try to come up with my own. This week, I made my own.

My soup was a black bean soup. It was a fairly unique soup. Most black beans soups I have had have been sort of like chili. This was more like a minestrone in consitstency. It didn't end up tasting the way I thought it would, but I liked the taste.

I started by chopping up 8 slices of bacon and frying them until nice and crispy (bacon is always a good start, don't you think?) and removed them from the pot.

Next I drained off the excess fat, but left a little in the pot and used it to cook up one finely chopped onion. (I didn't say the soup was healthful.) When the onion was nice and soft, I added about 4 cloves of chopped garlic and cooked it until I had a lovely bacony-oniony-garlicky-smelling mass.

Then I added two 15oz. cans of rinsed and drained black beans, 2 cups of chicken broth, and a 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes. I let the whole thing simmer for a while.

While my soup simmered, I made up a spice mixture of about 2 teaspoons cocoa powder and about a quarter teaspoon each of cumin, chili powder, cayenne, and ground coriander with a pinch or two of salt.

I made a mistake here. I added back the bacon with the spice mixture. I really shouldn't have done that as the bacon became soggy and flavorless. I should have just sprinkled it on top prior to serving. I suppose it was better that I didn't. If I hadn't thrown those bacon bits back into the soup, there is no way they would have survived for subsequent servings during the week. I would have eaten them all last night.

After a good 30 minutes or so, I served it up. I'm not sure what I expected it to taste like, but it still didn't taste as expected. I enjoyed it though. It was new and different. I will definitely make it again.

No comments: