Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Converting Your Cravings into Dessert

As I stated in my last blog, my lingering illness has killed my ability to taste much and has upped my cravings for starchy foods (and I'm normally a carniverous protein craver). I was really aching for some kind of sweet roll or bread on Tuesday. I had nothing in the house, but there is a decent bakery on my block, so I braved the cold to go and out see what they offered.

I had been hoping they would have challah bread or some of their crumb-topped sweet rolls, but they were out by the time I got there. I spotted something interesting on a back shelf though and asked what it was. I was told it was a coffee ring. They had a cinnamon raisin one and a cinnamon almond one. I also got a few strange looks for not knowing what it was. Cut me some slack. My brain is foggy!

I took home the almond one and tore into it. I cut myself a very large chunk. After a few bites that I was unable to taste, my desire for more of it diminished. I'd had enough.

Now I was stuck with a big portion of leftover coffee ring. What to do with it?

Have I mentioned lately how much I love remaking leftovers?

I mixed 2 cups of milk with two eggs, a half cup of sugar, a few shakes of cinnamon, and a half cup of amaretto. I tore up the remaining 80% of that coffee ring and soaked it in the egg and milk mixture. I poured it into a buttered baking dish and baked it at 350 for 45 minutes.

I brought my Amaretto Bread Pudding to work yesterday. It was quite popular with my coworkers. I was glad I bought that coffee ring in the end. I may have been tired of it eating it as it was, but it made over beautifully.

No comments: