Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Do You Dream of Food?

Two nights ago I had a dream. In my dream I wanted a snack. I was looking for some chocolate. I ended up in some kind of bookstore/internet cafe and I was seated at what looked like a library carrel with a TV and video console set up. I was about to enjoy a video of some kind when a waiter walked up to me and brought me what I must have ordered. He said, "Hot chocolate and chocolate pudding." The hot chocolate came in a small cup and was one of those french style, no-actual-milk-or-water-needed types. The pudding was more like a creme brulee without the brulee. It was silky and light and beneath a blanket of whipped cream - or at least that's how I almost thought it would be because as soon as I took my first bite, I woke up.

I know the inspiration for the dream. The day before I had been reading an article about The Dessert Truck (which I really want to try one day). It said that a hot chocolate from the Dessert Truck becomes a lovely chocolate pudding the next day. So I know why I had that particular dream, but I never understand why I have such frustrating dreams about food pretty regularly.

All of my life I have been plagued by recurring dreams along one theme - eating and waking.

In the first type of dream, I usually to go a restaurant, or some other place where food is being offered to me. My favorite type of dream is where the restaurant is in some unexpected place. It's usually some hole-in-the-wall (almost literally) that somehow becomes a lovely, kitschy restaurant once I enter it. This isn't always the type of restaurant I end up in, but I guess I love it when my dreams express my desire to find out-of-the-way places. I sit down and I'm about to order something, but the menu is never clear. Something keeps me from reading it. I try to look at it, but someone distracts me, or something blocks my view of it. Sometimes the menu doesn't have food printed on it. There is advertising or restaurant history, or any number of things that make me keep turning the pages before I can see what actual food is being served. I'm on the brink of just saying, "What's the recommended dish?" before I just wake up.

In the next type of dream, food is actually presented to me. Sometimes it is presented to me the way it was the other night. Sometimes there is a gorgeous buffet. The end result is always the same. As soon as I take a bite, I wake up. Sometimes I don't even get to take that first bite. I just can't dream about eating. I can only dream about wanting food.

I have one particularly vivid memory of a dream of eating a delicious bite of chicken and chewing on it only to wake up finding myself chewing on a piece of loosened orthodontic wax (I told you I have had these dreams all of my life).

I asked my husband if he ever had dreams like that. He said, "No. It's just not important to me."

Does food represent something else in my dreams, or is food just that important to me?

Hmmm...I write a blog entirely about food. You tell me how important food is to me!

1 comment:

Emiline said...

I don't know much about dreams, so I don't think I can help you.
You should make pots de creme. It's chocolate pudding, but better.

I had a dream last night, too. I came to work naked, (I work in a restaurant) wanting to take a bath in a swimming pool. My boss then fired me, and told me it was a family restaurant.
Then I said, "I was supposed to have privacy!"