Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Super Bowl Snacks

I'm not a sports fan at all and generally cringe at the words Super Bowl Sunday. I do have friends who have Super Bowl parties though. I usually just go, hang out, eat too much, and fall asleep during the game.

This year I've been challenged to help a fellow blogger come up with party ideas, so I thought I'd do my part. I needed to come up with something simple and vegetarian.

My mother occasionally makes a white bean dip with oil-poached garlic that is to die for. She uses the oil she poaches the garlic in to brush over pita triangles for dipping. It's a great alternative to heavier foods like cheese at parties.

I'm too lazy to make oil-poached garlic, so my version is just roasted. This is so easy, it's almost self-explanatory.

Garlic and Rosemary White Bean Dip

2 15 oz. cans cannellini (white kidney) beans rinses and drained
1 whole head garlic
1 Tbl. chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 olive oil plus more for drizzling
1 Tbl. fresh lemon juice (optional)
Salt to taste

Roast garlic. Preheat over to 300 degrees. Cut the top off the head of garlic and loosely wrap in aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil. Roast for one hour.

Place remaining ingredients in a food processor. When garlic is roasted, squeeze soft garlic pulp out and add to the food proceesor with remaining ingredients. Process till smooth.

Serve with pita triangles

Pita Triangles

6 6" pita bread rounds
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1 clove garlic finely minced
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme

Preheat over to 400 degrees. Add thyme and salt to oil and let sit to let the flavors meld. Cut pitas into 8 wedges. Lightly brush mixture over pita triangles. Spread out on a cookie sheet and bake 15-20 minutes. Watch carefully. Ovens can vary wildly on how quickly these will crisp up and how quickly they will burn.

3 comments:

Emiline said...

This is like the ultimate snack for me. I don't eat chips, and stuff like that.
I want to make this. I think the super bowl would be perfect. I almost capitalized super bowl. Like it's a holiday. Is it capitalized?

I'm thinking about adding tahini to the dip. What do you think? Kind of like hummus.

Mansi Desai said...

awesome!!! thanks so much Rachel for this wonderful snack combo:) the dip sounds inviting!

Jasmine said...

I'll follow your recipe to the last detail and hopefully i can have it done perfectly. 'll try it and share with my family.