Pages

Monday, March 24, 2008

Happy Birthday TERP!

It's time to celebrate. The Essential Rhubarb Pie is now a year old. (And it seems I'm calling it TERP for the first time)

It's been an interesting year. I love blogging because I love talking about myself. I have my MySpace blog for that, but I really wanted to expand and talk more about my love of food and cooking. I didn't know how many people who read my other blog would really care about that sort of thing. I approached the idea with a little trepidation. After all, food blogs have sprung up everywhere these days. Why would I want to add to an oversaturated corner of the internet? In an age where, "Anyone with a kitchen and a laptop" has a food blog, I wondered if anyone would actually care about what I had to say. Still I forged ahead. I chose Blogger as my venue because it seemed more stable than MySpace. I chose the moniker of The Short (dis)Order Cook as a way of designating both my stature and my tendency to wing it in the kitchen.

It's been a lot of fun writing this blog. I can gush about my favorite restaurants, websites, and foods. I can talk about my dislike of particular foods. I can rant about the poor quality of cooking shows on the Food Network. Since I never expected anyone to read this blog, I'm always pleasantly surprised when people do.

I have also learned a bit about the right way to do a food blog over the months. As something of a freeform and experimental cook, I never liked writing out recipes. My "recipes" were always just streams of consciousness. I wrote my recipes as if they were stories. If I used someone else's recipes, I provided a link if one was available online. If I used a recipe from a cookbook, I always just said what cookbook it came from. I never wrote it out. That wasn't very nice of me.

Now I try to write out the recipe in proper form if I make one up. My thought is that even if measurements aren't exact, or if I make something in a way that I know I like, but don't know if anyone else will, I can be reassured that people can tweak my recipes. I tweak everyone else's. after all. I don't have to be a perfectionist. I also have learned to suck it up and copy out the recipe if I'm using something from a cookbook. It's a nice thing to do. The other thing I learned is that photos are appreciated. Okay. I'm working on that one. I hope to be acquiring my own camera soon so I don't waste my husband's memory cards on his camera taking pictures of food.

The greatest thing about starting this blog is how it connected me to some other great blogs. When I started this blog, through comments and recommendations, and just plain old nosing around, I discovered a few great blogs.

Through those blogs and the contacts I made there, I discovered even more great blogs.

Then through those blogs I found still more great blogs.

Every day I explore blogs through other blogs looking for more great food reads and more great cooking ideas.

So it is you, my fellow food bloggers, who keep me going here. You inspire me, teach me, and very often make me laugh my head off. Every one of you reading this is as much a part of The Essential Rhubarb Pie as I am.

I think it's time to break out the champagne and chocolate! (or the bacon and rhubarb)

4 comments:

michelle @ the smackdown said...

congrats, both on the anniversary and the fact that your blog title makes a cute acronym! and thanks for the shout-out - the feeling is mutual!

Emiline said...

Congratulations on your blogiversary!
I'm so glad I found your blog.

Mansi Desai said...

hey, congrats on your first anniversary! and also for the new theater role:) hope you have more wonderful years at this space!:)

good luck gal!!

Bellini Valli said...

Please do break out the champagne and chocolate. Here's to another year of great posts:D