Pages

Saturday, March 22, 2008

That's What Friends Are For

I usually assume that none of my IRL friends read this blog because very few of them are cooks. I'm not saying my friends are all incompetent in the kitchen, but most of them see cooking as something you do to avoid starving. They're not passionate about is as I am (although most of them are just as passionate about eating). However, I'm lucky enough to have one friend who is also passionate about cooking (actually I'm lucky to have Sian as a friend for many many reasons) and does, apparently, read this blog. Sian is my BFF from WAAAAAYYY back. We met in kindergarten. This means she and I were in the same second grade class. When she saw my blog yesterday (surprise), she did some work of her own.

You see, her mother never threw out her copy of Well Rooted Recipes ("Flippin fun from classes 2-11 and 2-12"). It seems her mother not only still had her copy, but had it readily accessible and ready to be researched. Within a day of my writing my last blog, my mother's Easter Pie recipe was emailed to me.

I'm so happy to have friends like this.

I'm also impressed that her mother saved the cookbook. My mother probably trashed the book when she moved from my childhood home in Harrison to a condo in Port Chester (just a few towns over for those of you not from this area). Her mother downsized from the family home to Harrison, to an apartment in faraway Baltimore (where Sian now lives sadly). Yet she still managed to hold onto the cookbook. Maybe being a pack rat isn't such a bad thing.

So here is the recipe, now preserved for posterity. It's certainly written like an Italian grandmother's recipe. I could have sworn there were more than two meats in the recipe, but I find it funny how I adjusted Julia Child's recipe and ended up using the same meats.

Italian Easter Pie

Crust:
1 cup flour
2 eggs (3 if small)
Pepper – generous dash
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
Enough water to hold together

Filling:
1 lb. ricotta cheese
3-4 eggs depending on size
1 small mozzarella, diced (about ½ lb.)
Parsley – chopped
Salt, if necessary, if ricotta is very mild
1 pepperoni sausage sliced
½ lb. diced boiled ham or prosciutto
Mix well.

Mix crust ingredients together and roll into bottom and top crusts. Line a shallow casserole with dough, add filling, and cover with top crust.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour.

1 comment:

Emiline said...

I've heard of this, but never had it before. That's cool that your friend reads your blog. I told some of mine about it, and I don't think anyone visited.
Happy Easter!