Pages

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Bucati with Turkey-Mushroom Sauce

Reading this recipe might make you want to glance down to a post I made a couple of weeks ago about a vegetable lasagna with a mushroom-tomato sauce. A curious reader might note that I said that there would be leftover sauce and it might be a good idea to freeze it for future use. Some of you might wonder if I've been recycling recipes. You might think I'm just doctoring up the stuff I left in my freezer two weeks ago.

I'd never do that of course. I'm here to provide a fresh and humongous weekly recipe until my show is over. Pay no mind to my insane rehearsal schedule this week. It's not important at all.

I have a weird obsession with bucati lately. I really shouldn't. What is it? Is it thick spaghetti with a hole in the middle, or is it ectomorphic ziti? It always looks so cool and so hearty. I can't help but buy it. Then I'm stuck with long pasta that's too thick to twirl (it just breaks) and too long and thin to spear. All you can do is slurp it. Maybe I just like slurping too much. This recipe can certainly be substituted with any type of pasta you think is proper.

I like San Marzano tomatoes because they have a wonderful, thick consistency, but I know they're not always available. I had to buy some extra - I mean two fresh cans - of tomatoes and I happened to get them at Trader Joe's, which doesn't have a particularly wide variety of tomatoes available.

Bucati with Turkey-Mushroom Sauce

1 pound ground turkey
2 28-oz can crushed tomatoes (or get whole ones and crush them yourself)
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 large onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup white wine
3 bay leaves
A few grates of nutmeg
1 package bucati or pasta of your choice
Pinch of salt and a few grinds black pepper
2 Tbp olive oil

Heat oil in a large pot. Add onions and cook till soft. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook till mushrooms get brown. Add turkey, breaking it up. (You can also brown off the meat separately and drain it. You may want to do this if you aren't using all white meat turkey. Me? I confess to being lazy and lacking in health consciousness.) Add remaining ingredients and simmer for at least 30 minutes.

Cook pasta while sauce simmers. Serve pasta with sauce and lots of freshly grated parmesan. Go do some tap dancing.

2 comments:

Emiline said...

I've been craving pasta and you just made it worse!
Hmm, your interest in bucati has made me interested in it as well.

Sue said...

Well, except for the tap dancing, I'm down with this recipe. I agree about bucati. It's like spaghetti on steroids...