Pages

Monday, April 21, 2008

My First Matzah Balls!

I've been wanting to make matzah balls for my husband for years. He always get matzah ball soup when we go the diner. He loves it and it's very seasonally appropriate right now.

For quite some time now I've been saving any chicken fat that comes off my soups and chickens in the freezer for use in future matzah balls. As far as I'm concerned, there is no substitute for chicken fat in your matzah balls. Nothing tastes like chicken fat (well, I suppose bacon fat does, but this is one time I think I need to tone down the "Gentile Variations" in my cooking).

I admit I used canned, low-sodium broth for my soup. I added some chopped onions, chicken, and carrots to it, but I just didn't have time to make my own stock this time around. I won't be doing anything like that till this show is over (they just "promoted" me for a better role, which would be great if we weren't less than a month away from performance time).

Kevin wanted some bread to go with it, so I bought some rolls. It's Passover this week. What's wrong with the picture?

I would have liked to have made more of these. I adjusted a few recipes that I already found to make them richer and more flavorful, but I think the thing I really needed to do with those recipes was double them. My balls were small. I like big matzah balls that fill up a small bowl.

You are supposed to simmer these in water and then add them to the soup. I simmered them right in the soup. I'm not sure how that might have affected the final outcome.

Kevin thought they were wonderful. I thought they were a little chewy. I wonder what his grandmother would have thought.

I'll-Never-Be-a-Bubbe Matzah Balls

1 1/4 cup matzah meal
5 tablespoons chicken fat
1 Tbp chopped fresh parsely
1/4 cup hot water
4 eggs lightly beaten
1 tsp salt
Few grinds black pepper
One big pot of chicken soup.

Mix eggs and chicken fat together. Blend in matzah meal, parsley, salt and pepper. Add water. Refrigerate one hour. Roll into balls and add to simmering soup. Cover and cook 20 minutes.

4 comments:

Emiline said...

Mmm, that sounds pretty good. I've only made and eaten matzah ball soup, once.
I would eat it again though. Next time with sweet, delicious chicken fat.

Sue said...

WOW! That's impressive that you kept your chicken fat. From H's family, I believe the reason you cook the matzoh balls in water (salted water) is because they can make the soup cloudy, but plenty of recipes tell you to cook them in the soup, so whatever.

THAT is funny that Kevin wanted bread. One of the first times I made chicken soup for H, I added potatoes and he was appalled. Apparently that's just not done, it's noodles or nothing.

insane scribbler said...

Hi,
Saikat from BlogsJam here.
Wanted to email you, but could not locate your email address on the
blog. we have 2 cool widgets ( a slideshow widget and a content widget
) which can help enhance site interaction and reader's experience. pl contact me at saibose@gmail.com so that i can send you the slideshow widget for your blog.

thx-Saikat

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy said...

Hurrah for you! Your matzah balls look great! Matzah Ball Soup is one of the great pleasures in life.