Pages

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Fitting in some cooking (Now with photos!)

You may have noticed that I haven't been posting any recipes lately. In fact, I'm hardly posting at all. Well, if you have been keeping up with what's going on (and why haven't you?) then you know that I'm still in the throws of rehearsals. "Hell Week" is upon us. We open in 6 days and I don't have much time to hang around the house and cook. I spend a lot of time getting prepared meals at Stew Leonards in Norwalk lately.
Today I had some time before rehearsal to whip up something, but my brain is too fried to be creative enough to come up with something new, so I had to use someone else's recipe. My answer came from Amy and Jonny at We Are Never Full. All I had to do was open up the blog today and find Fusilli with Salsa Di Noci and Mushrooms (or is that e funghi?) It looked quick, simple and delicious. What else could I want? It would last me a couple of days, so I wouldn't have to worry about dinner for a couple of nights. No more oversalted prepacked pastas and chicken dishes for me.
I decided to try a new brand of pasta today. No one had long fusilli at the grocery store, but everyone makes a short one. I went with this one.


It was the name that got me. I just saw the name Garafolo and wondered if my pasta might start making witty sarcastic remarks or start snarking on George W. Bush when I tried to eat it.

The big question of the day was whether or not the walnut sauce would irritate my allergies. The recipe called for boiling the nuts before grinding them up. If this removed the bitterness, perhaps it might also remove whatever it is that makes my mouth burn when I eat them? The sauce looked so good, I decided to take the chance.

I got to work on it. I started by putting the walnuts on to boil and cooking up my mushrooms.


There was a time when I didn't like any mushrooms at all. There are still several varieties of mushrooms I don't like, but I think that cremini mushrooms create a good start to most pasta dishes.

I took my soaked nuts, bread, parmiggiano reggiano, and some fresh thyme and put it in the food processor. I tweaked the WANF recipe by using copious amounts of heavy cream rather than just a quarter cup of light cream. I'm naughty that way. I really didn't intend to use that much, but my sauce was kind of pasty, so I kept adding more cream to thin it out.

Here is my finished product. Very tasty. Does it burn my mouth? Just a little. But it's worth it!




I finally did get that Best Buy gift certificate, but I didn't buy the new camera yet. The photos are courtesy of my new cell phone.

6 comments:

We Are Never Full said...

How awesome! i can't believe someone tried a recipe so quickly after it was posted! awesome...

and you're right... we should title it 'e funghi'! i'm an idiot. i'm glad you tweaked it to your liking. that's the beauty of cooking! we liked the thickness of the sauce w/o alot of cream, but adding more cream always equals more delciousness.

Emiline said...

Whoo! Pics! I can't believe these came from a cell phone.

Good luck in your performance. I need more details on this. Are you singing and dancing?

The pasta looks delicious! How I love pasta. I'm sorry about the walnuts burning your mouth. That's just wrong. Can you have any nuts?

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

WANF - You were a case of perfect timing. I wanted to cook that day, I wanted to read some blogs too. The fates were on our side.

Em - I'll be singing mostly in chorus numbers and I play one of the Andrews Sisters, so I do on medley in that capacity. I also do a lot of dance numbers. I'd rather sing more and dance less, but the cast is full of really good singers (read: much better than me) and not so good dancers.

Walnuts seem to be the only nuts that bother me. Pecans area little irritating, but they're not so bad. Thank goodness I have no problems with almonds or hazelnuts. My life would be ruined!

Sue said...

YAY!!! Pictures! Those are fantastic for a cellphone. You should just buy ANY digital camera. You will love it. They practically take the pictures for you.

That's really brave of you to cook with walnuts even with your allergy. That sounds sooo good.

We Are Never Full said...

ok, i just changed the title of the post, thanks to you!

also, i totally forgot that you had that weird tickle in the throat allergy and you STILL gave it a try. for that, you are a rockstar in my book!

Bellini Valli said...

It took me quite a while to start posting photos of my own pics..it used to be scenery shots. Certainly a droolworthy pasta to start with:D