Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Once Again My Mashed Potatoes Will Give You A Heart Attack

I just can't seem to stop adding things I shouldn't be to mashed potatoes.

Last night I decided to try Bobby Flay's Chicken Chasseur recipe. Actually I tweaked it a bit, but his recipe was the inspiration. It was the first Bobby Flay recipe I ever made. In the show where I saw him make it (I actually watched this time because it wasn't a grill show) he made a potato gratin where he poached the potatoes in cream. I knew I couldn't make those without killing my husband, so I opted for mashed potatoes.

I put my potatoes on to boil and got the stuff ready to mix them with. Then I realized something. I didn't have milk. The only milk I had was dated. I thought I had some heavy cream or half-and-half left over from the party on Sunday, but I was wrong. All I had was buttermilk left over from baking the chocolate cake. (Em, have I mentioned lately how much I loved your cake? I loved your cake.) I was about to use it when I spotted something else. You see, when I made the crostini for the party, I didn't use all of the goat cheese I bought. I had a hunk of goat cheese sitting in the fridge just begging me to use it.

I had my qualms. Could I do this to my husband. I rationalized that goat cheese has no lactose. But he just doesn't like cheese, period. As I have pointed out before, he only likes certain cheeses under certain conditions. There is no way he will ever eat anything that comes from a goat. Sometimes he can be a huge weenie. But did he have to know there was goat cheese in the potatoes? Would he really taste it? Would he really noticed the texture? Would he?

I took a chance that the answer would be no.

Heart Attack Mashed Potatoes #234057

2 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes - boiled to fork-tender and peeled
2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
2 teaspoons white pepper (or to taste)
3 oz. goat cheese at room temperature
1 head garlic
Olive oil for drizzling

Heat oven to 300 degrees. Cut the top off a head of garlic and drizzle with olive oil. Loosely wrap in foil and bake for an hour. Meanwhile, prepare and cook the potatoes.

When potatoes are done mash well with a masher. Squeeze soft roasted garlic in with them. Add goat cheese and mash really well to fully incorporate and hide any cheese-like traces from your husband. Add butter. Add salt and pepper and adjust seasoning as you see fit.

I ate half of these potatoes before they even made it to the table.

1 comment:

Bellini Valli said...

I would have eaten half of these potatoes before they made it to the table too.Rhubarb pie!!!!!