Pages

Friday, June 27, 2008

It was The Company Picnic - And I didn't bake!!!

Yesterday the employees of John S. Herold Inc. celebrated their annual company picnic. It's like a combination of a cookout, a college frat party, and summer camp. Booze flows freely, the food keeps coming, and we play all kinds of silly games.

One of the best features of the picnic is the Bake Off. People make desserts and the office votes on them. The first year we had it, I won with Double Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Filling. I haven't won since then. I have made chocolate hazelnut pie (beaten by chocolate toffee bars), chocolate cheesecake bars (beaten by carrot cake cookies - although I had some very interested people ask me for the recipe), and some cheap lemon-coconut bars made with Saltines (these were quickies I threw together that I had no intention of winning with and they were beaten by chocolate-peanut-butter buckeyes).

I had every intention of baking this year. I had a recipe for some bars that had a chocoloate cookie crust topped with a brownie-like layer infused with mini chocolate chips and Milky Way bars. I went to the store Wednesday night to pick up some ingredients, got home, and started to get to work. Then I took a second look at my recipe. It required a 9" square pan. I have an 8" square pan and a 9"x13" rectangular pan, but I don't havea 9" square. Who does? I looked through my book and found that just about every recipe called for a 9" pan. Desperate to make something, I went through all of my cookbooks looking for more things to make. It seemed all of my recipes required me to go back out to the store to get more ingredients. I gave up.

Even though I lost three years in a row, people were really disappointed that I didn't bake this year. That made me feel good. As our office manager put it, "It's not that we won't have enough desserts, but I love your baking." Awwwwwwwwwww shucks!


There was plenty of food without me baking. Food was catered by Clambake Connection. They provided all sorts of food for the seafood lovers as well as for us land lubbers. No one went home hungry.










Since no one ever believes we'll have enough food, the office manager went out and bought a cheese tray (mmmmmm....pepperoni....), crudite tray, and lots of chips.


We had a bushel of oysters brought in. They were quite popular.


There were plenty of lobsters.

Here they are in the barrel. Pictures like this frighten me a little. Have I mentioned my fear of crustaceans lately? I'm sure I've only done so a hundred or so times.

I'm a burger and dog person myself. The cheese on my burger looks kind of gross in this photo, doesn't it?

We didn't have many desserts, but there were a few.


This chocolate covered peanut butter cake was sort of disappointing. It had an off taste to it.



This cheesecake was obviously store-bought. I didn't bother.


I know it probably contained all kinds of bad ingredients, but I think this dessert called "Trailer Park Heaven in a Bowl" (Also, "Death by Chocolate" and "Trifle") was the one I voted for.

Coconut almond cake a close second. It was very popular and tasty.

I did my best to try it all.

They swore to me there was nothing illegal in this hookah. I'll take their word for it, but what exactly enabled us to eat all of those desserts? Besides, if there isn't anything illegal in it, what's the point? ;-)

We played all kinds of silly fun games all day.


You can see how successful I was at the egg toss.


Who doesn't love a tug o' war?

There was beer, wine, margaritas, Mike's, and Smirnoff Ice of course. No company picnic is complete without enough booze to make people feel silly enough to participate in all of this!

Can't wait till next year's picnic!

5 comments:

Adam said...

I love how you compared it to a frat party. I never thought of it like that, but it makes perfect sense. Booze is everywhere and there are drunken games... haha.

It is too bad you didn't bake, but it's a nice feeling knowing you're missed. Looking at the competition, you probably would of taken it. Always next year... :)

Emiline said...

Looks like a fun picnic. I would have taken advantage of the lobster. And alcohol.

I think you could have won the bake-off this year. I KNOW you would have won. Ahh, there's always next year. I think the masses seem to like the pb-chocolate combo.

Sue said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. I really hope the person who baked the chocolate covered peanut butter cake doesn't read your blog.

Lore said...

that looks like quite a feast and lost of fun!

Nikki Miller-Ka said...

Never have I ever worked anywhere that has a picnic with games, fun, and booze. Am I allowed to tell you that I'm jealous? Can I work at..wherever it is that you work?