Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Latest Compromise Meal - Lamb and Shrimp

I've been craving lamb lately. In past weeks it was pork. Now it's lamb. I have had the bug up my butt for a while now, ever since I read this post at We Are Never Full. I loved the idea of breaded lamb chops. They inspired me even further after I made this recipe. A nice hazelnut coating would be great on lamb.

That meant I had to make something else for Sir Pickypants. As always, if I make something he won't eat for myself, I make him something I won't eat for him. I went with a simplified version of shrimp scampi. I usually go with Tyler Florence's recipe, but last night, I did a quick version.

The other big deal of the night was that I found a great recipe for roasted broccoli in Food and Wine magazine. Oddly enough, it wasn't in the editorial pages. It was in the advertising pages. It was in an advertisement section for Kendall Jackson wines where they gave suggestions for pairings their wines with their recipes. This one had lots of butter with garlic and parmesan cheese. As soon as I saw the recipe, I had to try it. I had to cut the proportions way down because the recipe originally called for four pounds of broccoli.

Because I wanted to give myself more headaches last night, I also made a basic risotto. It was a great way to use up all of the excess homemade stock I have in my freezer.

I made my lamb coating with garlic, rosemary, panko, and ground hazelnuts. I didn't deep fry them. Instead, I coated them as if they were chicken, browned them, and finished them in the oven. It peeled off a bit in one spot, but worked out well otherwise.


Into the pan they went. So far, so good.

I tossed the shrimp with salt and a little cayenne pepper before I threw them into the pan with some garlic, oil and butter. I added some rosemary leaves at the end of cooking as well.



I never said I was good at plating things. The broccoli is sitting on top of the risotto



Here are the finished lamb chops. They, at least, look pretty good. Next time I'll cook them a little less though.


Recipes:

Hazelnut-Rosemary Lamb Chops
4 lamb loin chops
Flour for dredging
1 egg beaten with 1 tsp water
1/2 cup panko
1/4 cup ground hazelnuts
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbl fresh rosemary leaves
1 tsp salt
2 Tbl olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mince garlic together with salt and rosemary leaves to make a paste. Combine with panko and hazelnuts in a shallow bowl. Have flour ready in another bowl and eggs in a second bowl.

Coat chops lightly with flour, dip in egg, and coat with crumb mixture. Heat olive oil in a large pan and brown chops on all sides.

Transfer pan to oven and cook 10 minutes more or until your desire level of doneness.

The Short (dis)Order Cook's Simple Scampi
1 pound shrimp
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cloves garlic minced
2 Tbl olive oil
2 Tbl butter, divided
1/2 cup white wine
Juice of 1 lemon
1 Tbl fresh rosemary leaves

Toss shrimp with salt and cayenne. Heat oil and 1 Tbl butter together in a pan. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add shrimp and cook until no longer pink. Remove shrimp from pan and keep warm. Add wine, juice, and rosemary to the pan. Add remaining butter and cook until reduced a bit. Pour over shrimp.

Basic Risotto Milanese
1 cup arborio rice
3 cups chicken stock
1 pinch saffron
2 Tbl butter
2 Tbl olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped fresh parsely for garnish (I didn't actually do this last night)

In a small saucepan, heat the chicken stock to a simmer. Crush the saffron a bit and add it to the stock.

Heat oil and butter in a saucepan and add onion and garlic and cook until onion is soft. Add rice and stir to coat, cooking until the rice becomes a little transparent around the edges. Add wine and cook until the liquid is absorbed.

Begin adding stock one ladleful at a time to the rice. Stir frequently. As soon as the stock is absorbed, add another ladleful. Keep adding stock and stirring until consistency is creamy and rice is al dente.

Remove from heat. Add cheese and adjust seasoning. Garnish with parsley.

Parmesan and Garlic Roasted Broccoli
1 bunch of broccoli, cut into spears
2 Tbl butter, softened
2 Tbl parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Lay broccoli on an oiled rimmed baking sheet and roast for 10-15 minutes.

Moosh together (is that a cooking term?) garlic, cheese, salt, and butter.

When broccoli comes out of the oven, coat with the parmesan butter. Place under broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until it starts to brown a bit.

6 comments:

We Are Never Full said...

KUDOS KUDOS KUDOS! You really went creative on this! I give you mucho credit on the fried lamb chops. The hardest part about them is giving them just the right amount of time to fry up w/o causing the lamb to become a hockey puck. I think this is why the recipe we created worked so well with rib chops... although they are expensive, they are lean and so tasty when they are medium rare. You used the expensive loin chop and cooked them too long - man you must've been pissed! Anyways, my point is, you can use these great cuts of lamb and cook them just enough so they don't burn on the outside but stay crispy while still keeping it medium rare in the middle (if that's how ya like it!). but you've got some great ideas here!

thanks so much for the shout-out!

amy

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy said...

What a spread! The chops look great! I always have a hard time not overcooking red meat too. It's a fine line.

I am always cooking two meals because Mini-SGCC won't eat any red meat...or shellfish!

Adam said...

Sir Pickypants haha... nice.

You already had me at the hazelnut crusted lamb, awesome idea, and then... you broke into the risotto. That got me floored. It's 8am, I already ate breakfast, and now I'm hungry again. Thanks :)

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Amy - I almost went with ribs, but hte loins just looked so much more satisfying. The ribs looked so puny. The chops weren't horribly overcooked. If it were beef, I would have been devastated, but I like my lamb cooked a little more than I like my beef cooked. There was still a little pinkness to them, but they were definitely on their way to medium-well. I usually like my lamb cooked to medium, but closer to medium rare. If I do this again, I think I'd leave them in the oven maybe five minutes less than I did this time around. I'd definitely do this again.

...and you're welcome. I have a lot of fun with the recipes on your blog.

SGCC - I hear ya! It's tough when no two family members like the same things.

Adam - Sorry for making you hungry. Maybe you can console yourself that risotto and lamb aren't great breakfast foods anyway?

We Are Never Full said...

yeah, i always forget about the fact that people like their meat all different ways. i think it's really hard to cook meat to the right temp when you put it in the oven. i can't do it. good thing is, you know now what not to do, so you can levy the time so that eventually you know what's perfect for you. great job again.

Margareth said...

So pleasing to the eyes and definitely pleasing to taste. Love it!