Pages

Sunday, July 6, 2008

I Scream, You Scream

July is National Ice Cream month (just in case I didn't have enough reasons to love the month of my birth), so in that Honor Nik Snacks is hosting the I Scream, You Scream Blogging Event. I adore making ice cream, so this was one I had to jump on.
Is there anyone here who saves the crunchies for last when he or she eats ice cream cake? Come on, is there anyone who doesn't? There is something special about those ice cream crunchies isn't there? I love it when some kind ice cream parlor makes an ice cream that has those crunchies directly in there.

Bellvale Creamery used to do this. They made an ice cream called Black Dirt Blast (in honor of the Black Dirt region of Orange County, NY, that is famous for its high quality onions). It consisted of dark chocolate ice cream, with a "coffee finish", chocolate cake crunchies, and toffee bits. It was to die for, but they discontinued it at the end of last season and didn't bring it back. I decided for Nik's blogging event, I would try to do my own version of it.

I'm not sure what they meant by "coffee finish", but I figured I could add a little coffee to the ice cream base to see what happened. Ina Garten always adds coffee to her chocolate recipes. Why couldn't I? I added a tablespoon of instant espresso granules to my ice cream base.

The hard part was making the cake crunchies. How do you get those little crumbles? I had a package of chocolate wafer cookies, but they weren't quite the right consitency. Then I had an idea. What if I baked them up into a chocolate wafer crust and crumbled it, sort of like Cold Stone uses a graham cracker pie crust? That might be close.

I used an entire package of cookies and about a half a stick of melted butter. I patted the mixture into a pan and bake it 10 minutes. The consistency wasn't exactly what I was going for.

If I were to do this again, I think I would use fewer crumbs, more butter, and freeze the crust before crumbling it. In the end, I liked the chocolate crust bits, but they weren't like cake crunchies.

The next difficulty I had was that my local supermarket had NO TOFFEE. There wasn't a single toffee candy on the shelves. I looked for something else that would have a nice sticky-sweet chewy consistency.

Now for the recipe....

Dark Chocolate Toberlone Crunch Ice Cream

1 package chocolate wafer cookies
4 Tbl butter, melted
1 Toblerone bar, broken into pieces. (Freeze it first and it will smash pretty cleanly)
8 oz bittersweet chocolate
2 1/2 cups milk
1 Tbl instant coffee granules
3 Eggs
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 Tbl Vanilla Extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix cookies crumbs with melted butter and press into 8x8 pan. Bake about 10 minutes or until hard. Allow to cool. Break into pieces.

Melt chocolate with 1/2 cup milk, stirring until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.

In a bowl beat egg yolks and sugar until creamy and thick.

In a saucepan dissolve coffee granules with milk and bring to a boil. Gradually stir it into the egg-sugar mixture and return the whole thing to the pan on the stove and cook, stirring constantly, until it begins to thicken and coat the back of a wooden spoon. Do not allow to boil. Add the chocolate mixture.

Strain the custard into a large bowl that contains that heavy cream. Stir together and stir in the vanilla. Allow to cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate several hours or until cold.

Freeze chilled mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions. When it is a nice soft-serve consitency, gently stir in the cookie crust and Toblerone bits. Transfer to freezer until ready to serve.

It may not be the prettiest ice cream I have ever made, but it is completely addictive!
*******************************************************

So how did Kevin and I spend our 4th?

Loser geeks that we are, we had no one but each other to spend the evening with, so we had dinner at the Fireman's Carnival. Let's see what's cooking.


Call them zeppoli. Call them pizza fritta. Whatever you call them, call them delicious. I also call them fattening. With a swimsuit vacation coming in three weeks, I made a superhuman effort and just said no. I told my mother this the next day and she took my temperature.


Garden Catering, my favorite deli provided burgers, dogs, their famous Chicken Nugget and French Fry "Special" and lots of sausage and steak wedges. (Around these parts it's called a WEDGE. Got that? If you call it a hoagie, you will be laughed at. If you call it a sub they will tolerate it - barely).



A mexican deli I have never heard of provided some Tex Mex, some barbecue items, and corn on the cob. It looked pretty tasty.

However, our good friends at Rani Mahal had a booth there as well, serving up chicken tandoori, chicken tikka masala, and some vegetarian options as well.

I had some tandoori chicken, naan, rice, and one of the best lamb samosas I have ever eaten.

Hope everyone had a great 4th!

10 comments:

Lo said...

Looks like a good 4th of July celebration to me! Lots of great food :)

And that icecream... well, it looks delish.

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy said...

Hey, that carnival looks like it was a pretty good time!

Your ice cream looks really interesting too. I love the crispies in Carvel cakes, but I don't know how to reproduce them. Your cookie crust seems like it would be pretty darn close.

I can't believe you found some tortoni! That is so great! Maybe it is making a comeback.

Srivalli said...

nice ice cream!...and those pictures are something..very interesting to see the indian fan fare there...:)

Emiline said...

Holy cow! I think your ice cream sounds amazing! I'm a crazy for chocolate, so the crunchies and the chocolate toblerone pieces sound really good.

Hope you had a good 4th!

Adam said...

Your ice cream making skills never cease to amaze me. Seriously, if you had an ice cream shack in my hometown growing up, I would of been the 300 pound Eric Cartman kid throwing down 5 bucks a day.

Glad you had a good 4th. There's quite the assortment of food there, Italian, Indian, American... thats pretty cool.

Sue said...

A carnival, a yummy Ice Cream recipe AND Indian Food! Paradise.

Lore said...

Toberlone ice cream is such a brilliant idea! I'm all for the crunch :)

amandalouden said...

Looks fun! Ice cream looks fabulous!

Nikki Miller-Ka said...

Thank you SOOoo much for entering Ice Cream, You Scream, Rachel. Your ice cream is so super cool (heh heh).

I am jealous of all the food you saw/ate at the carnival. I LOVE Indian food. As soon as I get some money, I'm going to my favorite Indian joint, getting some lamb rogan josh, 2 baskets of naan, and extra basmati rice!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Thanks for all of the comments everyone. This recipe was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to seeing the ones everyone else comes up with for the event. I see some new faces here as well, so I'm so happy to have some new blogs to check out!

BTW, if you want to make this ice cream recipe a little richer and creamier, substitute half and half for the milk!