Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Sweet Treat of the Week

I love scones. It's a little weird that I like them so much because my preference for desserts tends to lie with the gooey and moist and soft and chewy or creamy. Scones are dry and crumbly. There is just something about that crumbliness, particularly when they're rich and buttery. They sort of melt in your mouth. They are also great with tea and coffee in the way hard biscotti are best served with sweet wine.

Adam of Baking with Dynamite created a recipe that combines my love of scones with my love of chocolate. I like BWD because it assures me I can be a healthy gym rat and still indulge my love of baking. (Come on, look how buff this guy is.) Besides, the scone recipe post also indulges my geek side.

The recipe was a bit tricky because it's like me to screw something up. This time around I neglected to add the chips (mixed dark and milk leftover from a couple of other recipes) at the correct time and ended up adding them at the end. I was also afraid the dough was a bit overworked. By some miracle, they came out just fine. They weren't too tough and the chips didn't all sink to the bottom.

Overall, they were pretty tasty - a perfect foil to an afternoon cup of tea - or better yet some clotted cream. They did have a fairly dry texture, so I highly recommend some tea or coffee with them. (I actually considered buying some clotted cream at Whole Foods to make a really indulgent snack, but at $6 a jar, I decided against it.) They are inspiring me to make scones more often.


************************************************************
And now for something completely different...

It's my birthday tomorrow. I am eagerly anticipating my surprise celebration. I told my husband that a really nice gift would be some theater tickets. Later that day he told me "Plan to spend your birthday in the city." I don't know what show we're going to see (I told him my top choices were Spring Awakening or the South Pacific revival) and I also don't know where we're having dinner. It's all a big surprise. Our favorite pre-theater restaurant is Joe Allen's, but I'm wondering if we'll go a little more upscale for my birthday (I guess that might depend on how good the theater seats are) and where we would go. It's so exciting!

4 comments:

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy said...

You can't beat a buttery, crumbly scone with a gnice cup of coffee! They look great!

Have a wonderful birthday tomorrow! I hope it is all you hoped for.

Adam said...

I'm extremely happy that you enjoyed the scones. It's actually quite an honor to have someone try a recipe you made, and even better that they turned out well.

Us NY gym rats have to stick together right? :)

Have a very Happy Birthday, and enjoy the city!

Srivalli said...

hahah..thats a nice one on the gym, but seriously those scones do look great..of course how much calories went in we wont' say right..:)..

and many many happy returns of the day...will come back to check where and how you spent...so sweet of your husband!

Emiline said...

Oooh! Happy Birthday!

Clotted cream? I want some.

Your scones look great!