Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Another Cabinet Cleanout Meal Inspired by Bloggers

I love making risotto and it's one of those things I currently have an excess of in the cabinet, so I decided to make risotto for dinner tonight.

This particular risotto meal was inspired by two very charming and inventive bloggers, Darius of Everyday Cooking and Proud Italian Cook. Both of them are very good at putting their own spin on the classics and have recently done these beautiful molded risottos (or should I say risotti?). They become my inspiration for my own molded risotto.

I used the Proud Italian Cook method, but I did an individual presentaion as Darius did. My filling ingredient was mushrooms, because I think mushrooms and risotto go really well together. To give the meal a little extra protein, I added a more radical touch: quail eggs (this year's ingredient obession).

Served on top of a bed of fresh greens dressed in a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, it makes a very nice presentation, if I do say so myself.

Mushroom Risotto Cakes

For Rice
2 Tbl butter
2 Tbl olive oil
1 onion, diced small
2 cloves garlic, minced
1.5 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup white wine
3 cups chicken stock
Parmesan cheese galore
Salt
Pepper

For Mushrooms
1 Tbl olive oil
2 minced cloves garlic
2 large shallots, minced
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup white wine
1 Tbl fresh thyme
8 Quail eggs, poached or fried, cooked to your preference.

Heat oven to 400 degress.

Heat stock to a simmer in a small saucepan and keep warm on the stove.

Prepare mushrooms. In a pan, heat olive oil and add shallots and garlic and cook till soft and fragrant. Add mushrooms to the pan and cook until soft and reduced. Add wine and fresh thyme and cook until the juices are mostly evaporated.

In a saucepan heat olive oil and butter and add onion and garlic, cooking until transparent. Add rice and stir to coat, cooking until they lose some of their opacity. Add wine and stir unti it is absorbed. Stir in a ladleful of broth and cook until absorbed. Keep adding broth and stirring until everything has been absorbed.

Stir mushroom mix into rice and add lots of parmesan. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Film 12 muffin tins with cooking spray and fill with risotto mixture. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes.

Cook eggs to your liking.

When risotto is ready, invert 3 cakes onto a plate full of greens and top each with an egg.

Chances are good that the cakes won't be totally intact when you invert them. That's okay. The stuff is very moldable, so you can just stick it on top and flatten gently with a spatula.

3 comments:

Sue said...

HOW could that be bad? That's a lovely recipe.

One question. Couldn't you just smash the cooked risotto into a little pyrex bowl and unmold it onto the plate without the baking? Any kind of rice usually molds (and unmolds) beautifully.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Sue, I have two words for you: Crispy Edges!

noble pig said...

I love recipes like this, just thrown together is always perfect for me.