Pages

Friday, September 5, 2008

The Final Sweet Treat of the Week

Summer is ending. Next week the dance and theater season starts again, so I won't have too many free nights at home to enjoy an evening of baking. That means my Weekly Sweet Treat (as stolen from other people's blogs) has come to and end. Don't despair (Maybe you're not despairing. You might be jumping for joy.) I'll still be baking, just not as often.

It certainly was fun searching around the blogsphere looking for recipes. Some of you had blogs full of recipes that I wanted to try and it was hard picking just one. I wanted to be fair and try as many blogs as possible, so I ended up never taking two recipes from the same blog. I did get some recipes from blogs that I hadn't been regularly visiting in the past, so this wasn't just a way to find new desserts, but it also gave me some great new reads. My Blogstalker list has grown this summer.

This week's Sweet Treat comes from the excellent blog, Fun and Food. Never has a vegetarian blog been able to set this carniverous girl's heart all a-twitter. There is so much delicious food there. The emphasis is on Indian food, which makes it very educational for me, but there are other Asian cuisines represented as well. It also includes a smattering of other cuisines from Italian to Mexican. Everything has emphasis on color and flavor. The photos are gorgeous. On top of that Mansi just seems so nice. You just want to go pop over to San Francisco and hang out with her for a while.

Mansi features several simple desserts on Fun and Food. Her recipes hit the spot when I just feel the need for something sweet, but don't want to do anything over the top. There are plenty of cookies and cakes that don't take long to make and use basic ingredients. I'd say they're a paritcularly good ending to a leisurely summer that is ending and turning into a hectic fall, so I decided this week I would try her Coconut Cookies.

I saw this recipe featured on the home page a few weeks ago, accompanied by a photo. When I saw it, I put it in the mental Rolodex for a possible future Sweet Treat. As coconut was one of those things I found in my kitchen reorganization, this week seemed like the perfect time to make it. Of course once I decided to actually make it, the recipe was no longer featured on the home page and I had to hunt for it. Thanks a lot! ;-)

I did make one adjustment to the recipe.

Can you tell what that adjustment is?

What can I say? I just couldn't help myself. Among the other disused and forgotten things in my cabinets, I had a bag of chocolate chips. (Don't ask me how a bag of chocolate chips ended up forgotten and disused in my cabinet. I just consider it one of life's mysteries.) Chocolate and coconut go so well together (the Mounds phenomenon) and I didn't have to buy any extra ingredients.

I melted a half cup of chocolate chips and then put them in a plastic baggie, cut off the tip of the baggies, and happily squirted it all over the cookies.

The cookies came out pretty well. They were a bit flat and very delicate. I actually froze them for an hour before packing them up to take to work because I was afraid they might fall apart on the trip. The other flaw in the recipe is that it didn't make enough! I wanted more! Next time I double it.

Despite their flatness, they had a wonderful cakey texture and rich taste. (How can anything with that much butter not taste good?) I received many compliments from coworkers about how pretty they looked. I received even more compliments about how good they tasted. The worst thing anyone said about them was that they looked like latkes. (One of the people to tell me that was my husband!)

All in all, an excellent final Sweet Treat for the summer.

On to Fall and new cooking and baking adventures!

8 comments:

Darius T. Williams said...

Sooo - I'm thinking this is going to be a great tasting cookie.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Good choice to drizzle them with chocolate. It makes everything taste better.

noble pig said...

Chocolate drizzle just makes the world go round!

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy said...

Oh man, I love chocolate and coconut together. Those cookies were tailor made for moi! They look wonderful!

Emiline said...

Mmm coconut cookies. I actually like Mounds and Almond Joy. I know a lot of people don't like them.

Adam said...

I practically guessed at your adjustment. I swear, if there wasn't a form of chocolate there, it wouldn't be a Rachel dessert :)

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Darius - Definitely. If you like coconut and butter, I'd say check the recipe out.

Susan, Susan and Em - Chocolate and coconut are a well-loved pairing for me too. Even if I hadn't found that bag of chips in the cabinet, I think I still would have used chocolate and not vanilla to ice these. Chocolate makes the world go round.

Adam - You know me too well!

Dee said...

ooh, very nice. of course, chocolate turn great into fabulous always!