Pages

Thursday, September 4, 2008

The First Cabinet Clean Out Meal

Last night I made the very first effort to get use up hat excess stuff in the cabinet.

These are almond-crusted chicken strips with a side of brown rice with spinach and tomatoes.

The chicken recipe was insprired by something I saw in Kayln's Kitchen. I coated strips of chicken breast in a combination of mustard, mayonnaise, and chopped fresh sage. Then I coated them in almond meal seasoned with a little salt and pepper. They were roasted at 400 degrees until they were nicely golden. (That's all the recipe you're getting)

I cooked the brown rice. (BTW, Sue, I only combined the two packages of brown rice into one jar. I did not mix the white rice in with them. No need to worry.) While it cooked I sauteed a diced onion and a couple of minced garlic cloves in olive oil and tossed in a bag of baby spinach. I also tossed some cherry tomatoes in olive oil and salt and roasted them at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. I threw the tomatoes in the pan with the spinach and added some sherry. I put the new spinach-tomato mixture over the cooked rice.

Neither I nor Sir Pickypants likes mayonnaise, but we weren't bothered by the flavor of it in the chicken. The strips were a little dry (I overcooked them a bit), but the flavor was really good. He really loved them. The rice was a nice way to use up the overstock and it got some vegetables into us.

8 comments:

Maria said...

I love Kalyn's blog! Glad you found a great recipe to use up some of your ingredients! Looks tasty!

noble pig said...

Hey what a great idea, I love the idea of the almonds.

Adam said...

I'd swear I'd eat almond crusted anything... maybe even sneakers. It just adds that certain something :)

The meal looks delicious, and yup I'm with you on the mayo thing. We're lucky we're not Canadian right? They put it on everything.

Clumbsy Cookie said...

This is really a great meal! I have to try almond crushed chicken, I'll sure love it!

Lo said...

I love the idea of the almond-coated chicken! Lovely. And way to use whatever is on hand!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Thanks for the positive response to this everyone. It gives me lots motivation to continue my cabinet-cleaning adventures.

Adam - LOL. Yeah, almond coating makes a lot of thing taste better, including mayo. It seems my dislike of the white stuff is one of the few things I have in common with Rachael Ray.

Emiline said...

What a delicious meal!

PS. you have to bring back summer treats next year, okay!?

Bellini Valli said...

If only we would all use up what we have in the cupboards..I am always off to the store for more ingredients:D