Pages

Monday, September 22, 2008

My Version of the BLT

I've been seeing lots of BLT recipes among my blogfriends lately. There are plenty of creative variations out there ranging from using sugared bacon to using fried green tomatoes. There are all kinds of creative additions to them to like avocados and cheeses. This is the perfect time of year for BLTs of course because of the abundance of good Ts. Tomatoes are really what makes these sandwiches special right now (granted, nothing makes a sandwich special quite like bacon).

I decided I really wanted a BLT of my own. I decided that I would make something containing the B, the L, and the T, but I decided against doing a sandwich. I love a good sandwich, but I'm trying to keep my calorie counts low until my upcoming high school reunion, so I figured the two hundred bread calories could be eliminated from my creation. If it's a salad it's always healthful and and low calorie, right? ;-)

I made some additions of my own to my BLT salad. First, tomatoes aren't the only thing that are good this time of year. It's also all about the corn. I added some sauteed corn kernels to my salad. I also added some fresh mozzarella because what goes better with tomatoes?

This sort of thing doesn't need a recipe, so let's just get started on how I did it.

Bacon in the pan. That's always an auspicious start.

Look! I used the Bundt pan trick with the corn kernels.

Saute the corn kernel with some finely diced red onion. Did you just ask me if I used the bacon grease to saute the corn? Now why would I do something like that?


Down goes the fresh Pine Island lettuce.

Now for the tomatoes. I used these adorable little grape tomatoes from Green Valley Farm.

Panzarella brand fresh mozzarella. "Just like Italy" says the label. "The best mozzarella in the country, guaranteed" said the signs at Pennings Farm Market.


In go the corn kernels and bacon. All this needs is a little splash of your favorite balsamic vinaigrette and you're on your way.

6 comments:

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy said...

A BLT salad - great idea! I love the sauteed corn in it!

Darius T. Williams said...

I did the sandwich too - lol. I called it a Grown Up BLT because I did the fried green tomatoes cajun style and I glazed the bacon in honey - and the mayo was mixed into a chipotle mayo.

BUT, this is a great idea...and corn? Such a perfect pair!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Sticky One - My next post is going to show just how great your ideas are.

Darius - I remember that BLT well, and it was an inspiration to me.

Maria said...

My dad loves BLT's but he usually skips the L and the T and devours lots of bacon..ha! The salad is a great version!

Emiline said...

Yay! Sue would be proud.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Maria - I have to agree with Dad about the bacon. I'd gladly leave off the LT myself. Danged health concerns!