Pages

Monday, October 27, 2008

Making Use of the Pickles

If I can bring myself to wake up early on a Sunday morning, I try to haul my tired butt to the Rye Farmer's Market.

The Rye Farmer's Market is a dangerous place. I go there with the best intentions of just buying some vegetables and fruits, but somehow end up coming home with a $25 wedge of artisinal cheese or a $10 jar of gourmet flavored peanut butter.

Or a $6 container of garlic pickles.

I can't help it. The picklemonger is a very persuasive guy. He's like a carnival barker. He shouts out his available wares to anyone who passes by. He has all sorts of pickles and marinated mushrooms and roasted peppers. I can not resist the lure of the pickle man. I love pickles. (I wonder if I got pregnant would I be turned off pickles.)

I enjoy eating my pickles as is, but I started to wonder if it might be fun to add them to another recipe. Could I make my own relish (and what would I put it on)? What else could I do with them?

Then I remembered that I also bought these potatoes at the same market. They're not Yukon Golds, but they were supposed to be similar. I can't remember what they were called. I'm sorry. Please forgive me.
The inspiration came on like a pack of wolves running from a Palin-piloted helicopter. I would make a potato salad with pickle bits in it!

I used a recipe that I half-remembered from a label on sack of baby yukon golds I purchased a while back. It was a mayonnaise-free recipe, which is good since neither I nor Sir Pickypants likes the stuff. This one had olive oil and white wine, lemon juice and vinegar. I changed it around and added lemon vinegar and mustard.

Potato salad goes best with barbecue, so I decided to do my own grilled chicken sandwich with a nice side of potato salad. I made a nice sauce of sriracha and honey and cooked it on the grill pan.

I made some garlic roasted broccoli to ease the vegetable guilt.

I put avocado slices on the sandwich because I like it.

Recipes are for two people with a little extra. Adjust amounts as you see fit.

Sweet-Spicy Grilled Chicken Breasts

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbl sesame oil
2 Tbl honey
1 Tbl sriracha
1 Tbl cider vinegar
Salt and pepper
Crusty rolls
Avocado slices

Mix together first five ingredients.

Light a grill or warm up a ridged grill pan (as I did). Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and cook chicken on both sides. When chicken is almost cooked through, brush with sauce and grill both sides again until done.

Serve on rolls with avocado slices.

Pickle-y Potato Salad

8 small potatoes
1 cup finely chopped dill pickle
2 Tbl olive oil, divided use
1/4 cup white wine
1 Tbl lemon champagne vinegar
2 Tbl dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender. Remove from heat and cut into chunks. Toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and some salt and pepper. (Go easy on the salt as this salad has pickles in it). Whisk together wine, vinegar, mustard and remaining olive oil. Add pickles to the potatoes and toss it all with the dressing. You can serve it warm or cold as you see fit.

10 comments:

Bellini Valli said...

I really enjoy pickles in my potato salad:D

Darius T. Williams said...

Looks great to me - and I love a great pickly potato salad!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

The Blonde Duck said...

Pickle monger! I love it!

Adam said...

Pickle lovers shall always remain pickle lovers, so don't you worry. I think Socrates or someone said that :)

I love the whole BBQ idea, and the sweet and sour breasts sound great. Awesome job, and I'm glad you got a camera working :)

noble pig said...

If you sold pickles wouldn't you have to be sort of carnival like? I love pickles in my potato salad, it sounds great!

Sue said...

I wish I had a pickle man!

My most favorite pickles in the world are Kosher "new" pickles, that are still green (not olive) on the outside and have a great crunch to them.

Tuna salad would be great with pickles. Have you ever had a southern ham salad? OMG! It's so good, but it does have your dreaded mayo. I suppose you could use a creamy vinaigrette. You grind up the ham and mix it with chopped pickles and usually mayo. It's heaven.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Val, Darius, Cathy - I hadn't considered other people liking pickles in potato salad. I'm glad I'm not weird. (Well, I am weird, but not about that anyway)

Adam - The questions was purely hypothetcial of course, so I'm not worried.

Yes, I bought a new camera. I was fortunate enough to have another gift certificate come my way. Yay!

Ducky - Michelle at TNS gets partial credit. She put the word picklemonger in my head.

Sue - If it makes you feel any better, I have less than a month to still have a pickle man.

If I ate tuna, I'd definitely put pickles in my tuna salad. I never had ham salad, but I think that's one of those past trauma things. They used to make ham salad at my college cafeteria and it always looked gross (although my college cafeteria was pretty good in general). Perhaps if the right person makes it for me, I'd change my tune.

Emiline said...

That looks like a good dinner! I want that sandwich. The roll looks very good, and I also LOVE avocado on my sandwiches.

I was raised without pickles cause my mom doesn't like them. I forget to eat them, but I do like them!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Can I have this for dinner tonight?! What a nice meal!

Giff said...

He *is* persuasive, that pickle guy! Can't wait until next season :)