Pages

Sunday, October 26, 2008

There is nothing like a beautiful Fall day in the country.

Nothing better ends a Fall day than a birthday dinner with Kevin's Family at the Iron Forge Inn, my most favorite restaurant in the world. Let's see what they had in store for me this weekend.

We came in from the cold, rainy night into this sweet little porch that smelled of cinnamon and spice. I love this room.

From there, we were seated in the Garden Room. It's a small, intimate space that (surprise) has French doors overlooking a garden.

We began with a tasty amusee bouch of potato croquette with truffle butter along with fresh, warm bread. It was a delcious bite as always.

My appetizer was duck "prosciuttio": thinly sliced cured duck wrapped around pear slices and drizzled with truffle honey.

My entree was a ginormous pork chop topped with sauteed greens and pulled pork. It sat in a pool of plum-chardonnay cream sauce and little spatzles, slightly charred to give them extra flavor.

Two members of our party had a short rib that sat on top of an onion bread pudding.

Kevin had the specialty fish of the day. It was a rainbow trout, covered with beautiful squares of polenta.

My dessert was a Chocolate Plate. I had two chocolate-filled beignets and a scoop of rich chocolate sorbet on top of a homemade cookie. It sat in a pool of ganache.

There isn't much else to say. Everything was delicious and skillfully prepared. It was served with a smile in an unhurried manner (but this time we didn't have to wait a half an hour for dessert). Kevin got his dessert for free as he was celebrating his birthday. They're nice to us like that. We eat there often enough now that the owners know us by name.

This was the first time my mother-in-law and her friends have ever eaten at the IFI. They were very pleased with the place. I haven't brought anyone here yet who didn't love it.

7 comments:

noble pig said...

I swear it always looks so delicious there!

Dee said...

Sigh. It's been too long since we went out for a nice meal. Everything looks amazing, but I'm intrigued by the onion bread pudding. I'm going to file this away for future experimentation.

Darius T. Williams said...

Oh my - great pics!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

What a wonderful meal! I'll ask for the duck prociutto and the chocolate plate!

Emiline said...

This sounds like a nice place. I would have picked the pork chop too - it sounds delicious.
And I love the chocolate plate. I would have been in heaven!

The Blonde Duck said...

It looks so charming--perfectly autumn!

CECIL said...

Oh gosh..look at that pork chop on onion bread pudding!! MMHH! The inn photos remind me of my host family's country house. It's 'backyard' go through woods.