Pages

Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year to All!

I hope everyone has recovered from his and her respective NYE hangovers and that we're all ready to start 2009 with a bang and plenty of great food.

2008 was a good year for cooking for me. I made some attempts to push myself out of my comfort zone a bit. I made my first doughnuts, my first brioche, my first matzah balls, my first blueberry pie, and my most successful cream puffs. I had resolved to bake some new things this year. I never did make good on my resolution to cook a duck though. That one has to be on my list for 2009.

My cooking is most often about taking a bit of inspiration, whether that inspiration is something I have in my kitchen that needs using up, something I came across in the store, something I read about in a magazine, or something I see in someone else's blog. I like to find an idea or an ingredient, and find ways to cook something new with it.

Even though I'm a bit freeform (or should I say [dis]Ordered?) I do like to try new recipes and actually make them as they are written down. Although I subscribe to two different food magazines and own a shelf full of cookbooks, I am finding over and over again that the recipes I want to make the most are the ones I see right here on the blogs. Sometimes I just use the ideas they gave me and I do my own variations, but I also will make those recipes as they are written.

Whenever I poach a recipe, I do try to blog about it so the blogger knows I made it and gets the well-deserved public acknowledgment and credit for it, but it isn't always the case. Because of this I would like to acknowledge the following blogs for their inspiration. Every single blog in the list below was used at least once this year for a recipe. I'm sorry if I didn't always blog about your recipe, but know that you provided me with something delicious to eat in 2008 and hope to have your recipe links in one of my blogs in 2009.

Baking with Dynamite
Bunny's Warm Oven
Food Blogga
Fun and Food
Kalofagas
More Than Burnt Toast
Nik Snacks
The Pioneer Woman Cooks
Proud Italian Cook
Sticky Gooey Creamy Chewey
Sugar Plum
Tartlette
Thursday Night Smackdown
Use Real Butter
We Are Never Full

I would also like to give props to Everyday Cooking whose recipes I haven't technically used, but have provided me some nice fodder for some of my own.

Also a special shout-out to Sue of Food Network Musings who has been my first, and most faithful reader for the past two years and has held my hand through my first Thanksgiving and beyond.

If you didn't see your blog listed as something I made a recipe from, trust me, you will see one of your recipes on TERP eventually. I like to read blogs whose recipes I want to make.

Thanks to everyone who has loyally read this blog and been supportive with your feedback and comments. This is an awesome community. I'm equally glad I had to opportunity to meet some of you in 2008 and I hope that I can meet even more of you in 2009.

Happy New Year Everyone!!!!

13 comments:

Lore said...

Here's to a delicious New Year!

Bellini Valli said...

May love and laughter light your days,and warm your heart and home.

May good and faithful friends be yours,wherever you may roam.

May peace and plenty bless your worldwith joy that long endures.

May all life's passing seasons bring the best to you and yours!

It has been a pleasure to follow your blog in the past year and to share some tasty dishes. Heres to a promising year in 2009!!!

melissa said...

You accomplished a lot! And those are great blogs to take inspiration from.

Happy 2009!

The Blonde Duck said...

Have a tasty New Year!

noble pig said...

Happy new Year to you as well!

Proud Italian Cook said...

I love your freeform way of cooking, basicly thats how I am! I hate to admit it, but I have a hard time writing recipes down. You are so right, inspiration is all over the blogosphere, and we all inspire each other at one time or another. Hoping 2009 brings everything you wish for!!

Dee said...

Happy New Year! And congratulations on the doughnuts AND the brioche - both have been on my list for far too long. The blogsphere has introduced a little more adventure into my cooking, and I can't wait to see what inspiration 2009 brings.

Duck, eh? Can't wait :)

Maria said...

Happy New Year to you too!!

Lo said...

You, my dear, were great in 08. And you'll be fantastic in 09. I can just feel it.

Happy New Year to you! I'm jealous that you made doughnuts. They've been on my list for years. My mom used to make fabulous ones... so I'm hoping I have the genes!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Looks like you had a blast experimenting with new things last year! Keep up the great and sweet work this year!

Heather said...

Those are all great blogs to guide the way into developing your own style and flave.

Happy New Year, Rachel (and Sir Pickypants!)

Emily said...

Happy New Year to you! Wow, this is really late.

we are never full said...

i'm an ass.

i never even commented on this.

1st, thank you so much for even reading our blog, let alone trying any of our stuff out. it SO means alot to us.

2nd, thanks for hating rachel ray and ranting about awesome stuff!

3rd, have an excellent 2009 and i look forward to seeing what else happens on the blog.

sorry this is like 19 days late... :)