Pages

Sunday, January 18, 2009

More New Featured Ingredients

My mother-in-law's Christmas gift has finally arrived. Once again, she has sent Sir Pickypants and me a box of oranges, more oranges than two people can easily eat quickly.

Once again I have to come up with creative ways to use these.


I still have plenty of this.


And I had to deal with this kind of day yesterday.


It was a good day to start getting creative.


A cold, snowy Sunday is the perfect kind of day for roast chicken. I decided to make roast chicken with a citrus twist. (No pun intended - okay, maybe I intended a little pun.)


I took a little advice from Sue, who always knows what to do with everything you have too much of in the kitchen. She's been saying this all along.


I sliced an orange very thin and put the slices under the chicken skin. I chopped up some sage and smooshed it into some butter and stuck that under the skin as well. Into the cavity went whatever parts of the orange didn't fit under the skin and some whole sage leaves. I lightly coated the outside with olive oil and spinkled it liberally with salt and pepper (because I love a salty, crispy skin).



It didn't look pretty going in, but I hoped it would look pretty coming out.


Ah, That's better. This chicken was incredibly moist and flavorful. It got the Sir Pickpants seal of approval. I will definitely do this again with my chicken.

I served with a couscous and vegetable pilaf on the side. I got the recipe from Shape magazine. No recipe needed. Just saute some onion, garlic, tomato, carrot and zucchini in olive oil. Then cook with couscous in chicken broth according to package directions. Season to taste. I used a little oregano and a little cumin.


But wait, there's more!


When I'm home alone all day, I always like to bake. I decided to make something that would utilize both the bourbon and the oranges. Although it was a bit risky, I decided to adapt a cake recipe to include both. I used a vanilla pound cake recipe from Julia Child and substituted the milk in the recipe for a mixture of bourbon and orange juice and some of the vanilla in the recipe was replaced with grated orange peel.


I hope I'm not being too immodest when I say this cake was DELICOUS. When it was baked, I poked a few holes in it and sprinkled more bourbon on top. Then I glazed it with a mixture of milk, powdered sugar, and orange extract. It was too die for. It's rare I love soemthing without chocolate quite so much.


Orange-Bourbon Pound Cake

2 sticks of room temperature butter
2 cups sugar
3 eggs, whisked to combine
3 cups flour
1/2 tespoon salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 fresh orange juice
3/4 bourbon
1 tsp grated orange peel
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a Bundt pan.

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

Combine OJ and whiskey. Set aside.
In a mixer, cream butter until soft. Stream in the sugar and continue beating on medium speed until mixture is light and fluffy. Add eggs just a little (about a tablespoon) at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Mix at medium speed until all eggs are mixed in and mixture is pale and gaining more volume.

Add flour and whiskey mixture alternately, ending with the flour. When it is well mixed, gently stir in vanilla and orange zest.

Pour mixture into pan and bake for 55-65 minutes. Use the toothpick test to test for doneness. When baked cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and then remove from pan.

Orange-Sage Roast Chicken

1 whole chicken, neck and giblets removed.
2 Tbl butter, softened
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh sage
8-10 thin orange slices
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil
Additional orange slices and sage leaves for stuffing cavity.

Heat oven to 450 degrees.

Smoosh butter and sage together until well combined. You can get fancy and roll this into a log and cut slices, but that take chilling and stuff like that and maybe you don't want to do that kind of work, so don't think you have to be fancy.

Loosen the chicken skin and slice orange slices and random bits of the sage butter. Lightly brush the outside of the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle the outside with salt and pepper. Stuff more orange slices and sage leaves into the cavity.

Roast chicken in hot oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 400 and continue cooking for around 45 minutes or so depending on size. I use a probe thermometer and cook it until the thigh reaches the proper internal temperature and juices run clear.

When chicken is cooked allow to rest 10 minutes. Carve and serve.

21 comments:

Lo said...

Very nice! I love to use oranges with chicken...

That said -- it's the bourbon pound cake that's calling my name. Apparently, I need to do more baking!!

Theresa said...

Great ideas for use of the oranges and you can even make the scallop dish I recently made. I'm a softy for sweets. Is there any cake left over?

Lore said...

It definitely looked good coming out! I've learned the under the skin method from Jamie Oliver and had always worked out beautifully ever since. However, I've never thought of putting orange slices in the same place (I usually only do butter and herbs) but man oh man is that clever! I can actually taste how delicious it was just by looking at the pic.
Let's not forget how clever you were about the cake either!

The Blonde Duck said...

Orange you creative? :)

I couldn't help it.

The Duo Dishes said...

Great uses for the oranges! You'd be surprised how one ingredient can stretch into 1, 2 or 10 different recipes. Maybe you can do an entire 5 course meal with all oranges and bourbon!

melissa said...

Our favorite roast chicken is with orange, lemon and garlic in the cavity and then the juices + minced garlic + olive oil as a baste. I can just imagine the added punch of the orange and butter and sage under the skin. Fantastic.

Roast chicken always seems like a good Sunday meal, though it sure ain't snowing here in SoCal.

Clumbsy Cookie said...

My gradma has an orange tree and sometimes we also come home with an awesome amount of oranges and try to use them up before they go bad. You did great using them!

noble pig said...

Wow, how creative you are. It all sounds delicious! I wish I had a box of sunny oranges sent to me!

Peter M said...

LOL at Mr. Pickypants (again)...I have to hear him addressed that!

The chicken has that warm brown colour...nicely roasted.

What are you waiting for...slice that cake!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Lo - Give the cake a try. It's yummy and not difficult.

Theresa - I defintely think SPP would love your scallop dish. I got one piece of cake left over. I think I'll auction it.

Lore - Thanks. You can credit Sue of Food Network Musings for giving me inspiration with the orange slices under the skin.

Duckie - You are a woman after my own heart. You love ribs and puns!!!

Duo-I like that idea. Oranges and bourbon feast.

Melissa - ONce upon a time I didn't mind winter. Now I envy you.

Cookie - What a fortunate thing to have. I'm not sure if I had my own fruit tree would I be happy to have the endless supply, or would I get tired of them. ;-)

Cathy - Thanks. I got lucky. Maybe next Christmas you should drop a few hints to the right people.

Peter - Cake has been duly sliced! I'm actually more respectful to Kevin on this blog. When he's picky at home I just call him Mr. Pickypants to his face.

Maria said...

Nice cake! I love using citrus!

Zen Chef said...

Oh my, you're on the roll! I feel like i could give you my job and go on an extended vacation. :)

Yay for oranges and everything! Love it and that chicken looks good.

Emily said...

Ohhh yeah. Now that's what I'm talking about. I love cakes with booze in them.

This looks like a delicious dinner. I think the orangey-chicken is a good idea. Makes me think of Chinese food. Even though I know that's not what you were going for.

CECIL said...

I am gonna tell my mom about this post!! See, we celebrate both Christmas and Chinese New Year - my mom is Chinese. And the tradition for CNY usually involves a lot of gifting box (CRATE!) of oranges to friends and family. My brother (one who lives at home) alone got about 4 crates so far, and combining that with my parents'. Oranges overboard. So..perfect post for me (or them!)

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Em - Judging from the size of that drink in your profile photo, I'm not surprised you like cakes with booze in them. ;-)

Cee - And I thought I had more organges than I know what to do with. Tonight I'm making a salad of arugula, fennel, orange slices and pine nuts if you need more ideas.

Complaint Department Manager said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Complaint Department Manager said...

Oops, butchered that last post. I guess it lost it's "a-peel". I thought for a second, when I saw the first few photos, you were going to have orange juice and J.D. That's a hell of a way to start the morning, in fact, it'll beat the pulp out of it.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Zen - I'll take over your job if it means I can take trips like the one you were on recently.

CDM - I suppose simply having a glass of OJ and JD would simplify the process a bit. It wouldn't make for much of a food blog though. (Oh, and I wholeheartedly embrace you pun!)

Sue said...

I just love it when someone takes my advice! Can you come and live with me? That looks seriously good and those cake substitutions were brilliant. I think you're going to be really sorry when you've used up that entire bottle of bourbon with lightening speed. While there's still some left, you HAVE to try the hot buttered (or not) idea.

cook eat FRET said...

the pound cake sounds UNREAL
and sage and orange together? fabbo...

you go girl

Lys said...

NICE!!! Oranges and chicken... hmmm...

Now the bourbon - I have a whole bottle of Makers Mark which I highly doubt I'll be drinkin'. Perhaps the pound cake is in order