Pages

Thursday, February 5, 2009

So What Did He Eat All Week?

Hi everyone. You may have noticed I haven't been writing any blogs or hanging around your blogs this week. I've been in Houston on a business trip. Hope you all didn't miss me too much. ;-) Houston is most decidedly not my favorite city, but this week felt like paradise. Having five straight days of 60-70 degree weather after spending months in a frozen New York can do that to your opinion of a a city.

I was there by myself, so how did my poor husband survive? What did he eat? Did I make him buy dinner every single night, or, Heaven forbid, COOK?


Trying to be a conscientious wife, I decided to make him something he could have for a few nights while I was gone. Pasta is always a good choice as this is a man who never met a starch he didn't like. The key was to make him pasta that would also get some vegetables in his body.


The blogs have been very inspiring lately. This is the time of year we all want to hole up with comfort food, including things like pasta. However, we all care about our health. Spring will be here eventually and we have to shed these layers of heavy clothes, so we don't want to shove too many calories down our gobs either. It's important that we balance comfort with things that are good for us and not too high calories.


I decided to answer this dilemma with a simple, but satisfying pasta dish. In the spring and summer, pasta primavera is a wonderful way to use fresh vegetables with pasta. All you have to do is lightly saute them to bring out their fresh flavor and add them to your pasta. In the winter, vegetables aren't so fresh and they need a little more intense cooking to really make them tasty, so I came up with my own Pasta Al'Inverno. In my recipe, you roast the vegetables so you get the full flavor and toss them with pasta and garlic infused oil.


This is one of those great no-recipe recipes. Roast some quartered mushrooms and cherry tomatoes that have been brushed with oil and sprinkled with salt at 400 degrees until soft.

Along side of that, roast some asparagus and halved peppers until soft . Do the salt and oil thing to them first as well.
You can also add cauliflower to this. I wanted to, but the little country market where I bought my veggies was out of it. If you use cauliflower, stick it in first as it takes longer to roast. Make sure you get it nice and brown on the outside.

Heat some olive oil gently with a few garlic clove halves. You just want to make a nice infusion.
Chop up cooked veggies and toss them with a nice hearty pasta. In this case, I used penne rigate. Toss in lots of parmesan too - unless your husband has issues with cheese. In that case, put a portion aside for yourself and toss that with lots of parmesan.

I got to eat this the night before I left, and Kevin had plenty of leftovers for the next few nights. I didn't have to worry about him going hungry, and I knew he was eating his vegetables.

7 comments:

Sue said...

You are TOO nice to your husband! But I guess you were the lucky one not to be in this FREEZING weather.

Bellini Valli said...

This reminds me so much of Spring. With the global marketing veggies like asparagus are available all year round but I can't wait for the time to come when I can experience fresh local ingredients again:D

Emily said...

Oh my! This pasta dish looks fantastic. Like something I'd order in a restaurant.

Glad you got to enjoy a week's worth of nice weather!

noble pig said...

I love the asparagus in there, very nice touch.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Sue - Yeah. He was stuck in the snow while I frolicked in spring-like weather. I'd say I got the better deal.

Val - I long for fresh veggies too. All we can do right now is try to make the lame ones that are available taste as good as possible.

Em - Thanks. I'll keep that in mind if I ever open one.

Cathy - Thanks. It may not be the season, but it worked well.

Dee said...

You are amazing. I'd not have bothered. Oh, I'm such a bad wife :(

melissa said...

I'm already contemplating what to leave for Steve when I am going for three days at the end of March. Pasta was my first thought and, like you, I keep wondering how to get vegetables in his body.

*Sigh* Stoopid husbands, can't feed themselves their own healthy food...