Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2009

When You Can't Think too Clearly, Pilfer Pilfer Pilfer!

It's been one of those weeks. After the lovely Valentine's Day weekend mentioned in the previous post, it seems I have not had a whole lot of time to sit and actually think about cooking. I'm not saying I didn't cook. I just wasn't inclined to invent new recipes and blog about them. I spent a big chunk of my day off in a marathon dance class. Weather and student schedules caused a few class cancellations in the past few months, so my teacher had us make them up on President's Day. Three hours of tap dancing can addle anyone's brain.

I did one thing right on Monday. I used the remaining time to make chicken stock. I had a ton of leftover bones and veggies in my freezer. I boiled them all down. I was left with more stock than any one human ever needs. I made gallons of the stuff. All of those carcasses in my freezer have now been replaced with containers full of stock.

Despite this massive stock of stock, I was stuck. I was stuck for ideas. Then there is nothing else to do but go to other people's blogs and pilfer their recipes.

I made Theresa's Chicken Tortilla Soup. This was a big hit. My husband loved it. I'm glad he did, because we had an awful lot of it. After the second night of having it for dinner, I tweaked it a bit and added some chipotle powder to it before taking it to lunch the next day. (Is there anything chipotle powder doesn't taste good on?) This made it even better.

Then there I was stuck with a coworker's birthday coming up. I had to bake. This is someone I need to suck up to!

I have a great memory for recipes. If I see something I like on a blog that I know I want to make, I will keep it in my head until I finally make it. It will stay there for months, itching on my brain, reminding me that I have to bring forth that recipe in my own kitchen. Rita's Greenies is just one of the recipes. I love pistachios. Coworker is a nut for nuts. I'd kill two birds with one stone. I'd bake something for coworker and the recipe in my head would stop nagging me.

I tweaked this recipe a bit as well. I increased the nuts to about two cups, increased the white chocolate to seven ounces, increased the butter to one stick, and increased the flour to one and a quarter cups. Then I baked the whole thing in a 9" square pan.

Delicious. Coworker was very happy. She can't wait to take them home to her sweetie. Mission accomplished.

I don't know about Sir Pickypants, but as good as the soup was, eating it for lunch and dinner every day made me a little tired of it. I needed to make something else for dinner for once. What? I had more dance classes this week. I have an audition tonight (I may or may not actually audition for this play, but as a member of the B.O.D. I at least have to be there). I just can't think of a new recipe.

It's Fun and Food to the rescue. Always good for an easy meal suggestion, I chose Mansi's Spinach Fettuccini with Roasted Cherry Tomato Sauce. It's uncommonly good with just enough variation in flavor to make your realize you're not eating an ordinary tomato sauce. That's a good thing because I was close to doing something crazy like serve sauce from a jar! It's also the only thing I made this week that I remembered to take a picture of.

I still have a freezer full of chicken stock. I am making a new list of soup recipes to pilfer...

12 comments:

The Fat Dietitian said...

I love the contrast between the spinach noodles and the tomato sauce! It would be the perfect Christmas meal...

noble pig said...

That picture is so festive looking.

Bellini Valli said...

Sounds like an excellent week on the culinary front as well:D

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

FD and NP - It is very holiday-ish isn't it? One could alternately say it looks very Italian. I suppose you need to sprinkle the cheese on top for full Italian effect.

Val - with the help of fellow bloggers, yes. :-)

The Blonde Duck said...

Three hours of tap? Wow! Why are you dancing? For fun or to compete?

Not Another Omnivore said...

I keep trying to make tortilla soup and just can't find the time!

NAOmni

melissa said...

Soups are definitely a good way to use up that chicken stock. I'm making some tomorrow, but I admit I rather like having plans for it when I do it.

Good job satisfying/appeasing your coworker haha!

Sara said...

That looks really good and colorful! The tap dancing sounds like fun.

Lo said...

Everything looks amazing... you have me craving garden fresh cherry tomatoes now, though!

Sue said...

I think after all that dancing, a box full of doughnuts would have been the thing...but you're so good to want to eat real food. That recipe looks really good.

Complaint Department Manager said...

As much as I hate veggies, I really dig spinach Fettucine noodles. They the absolute best with a great alfredo sauce. It's nice seeing them again as you really don't find those here locally, at least not without doing a lot of searching.

The Duo Dishes said...

That's funny. It's not pilfering..it's adapting! :)