Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Feeling Like A Turkey

Anyone who reads this blog with any regularity knows I have a habit of being "inspired by" or just downright pilfering recipes from other bloggers. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery right? I hope other bloggers enjoy seeing how I raped interpreted their recipes.

So a few days ago I took inspiration from Stacey, who made a whole breast last week. I couldn't remember the last time I made a whole turkey breast. They have a lot of advantages. For one thing, they're a lot of food. You can get a lot of milage out of one with all of the leftovers (which is a good thing because whole turkey breasts are EXPENSIVE). For another thing, my husband really likes turkey.

Although I'm finally reducing the amount of herbage in my refrigerator, I did still have lots of leftover thyme. I used this to my advantage with the turkey.
No need to use a recipe here. I just mooshed up the thyme with some butter and stuffed it under the skin.
Next I put the breast on a roasting rack. I poured some white wine and chicken stock into the pan. I cooked the breast at 375, frequently basting it with the wine/broth mixture.

I served it with Ree's Crash Hot Potatoes. I've wanted to make these forever, but again, it was Stacey who gave me the nudge.

I used yukon gold potatoes as Sir Pickypants isn't so fond of red ones. I made roasted cauliflower without really thinking about how my meal would look in a photgraph. As a result, I came up with a meal that was rather startlingly beige.

I had lots of leftovers for sanwiches. This is a nice turkey sandwich on a challah roll with a fruity mustard I made by mixing dijon with a little preserves. I have enough turkey left over for sandwiches for a week. At $35 a pop I had better have a week's worth of sandwiches!

15 comments:

melissa said...

Two words: Turkey. Salad. My sole reason for wanting to roast a turkey. Loooove. I need to make it once more before November.

"mooshed up"

So... is that an official recipe instruction?

Sue said...

That turkey breast was $35??! Wow, now I know why I buy chicken thighs. It looks really great, but how can you eat turkey without cranberries?

Sara said...

This looks delicious, I've always wanted to buy a turkey breast to cook. In fact, I've been saving recipes for turkey breasts!

Heather said...

I always forget that I can just eat turkey all year round if I want, not just at the holidays.

The Blonde Duck said...

I really want some turkey now! Yum!

The Duo Dishes said...

Whooo, that's a big piece of turkey. Imagine everything you can do with it now. We agreed turkey salad would be just delish. Soup too. Quesadillas. Shredded turkey burgers!

Jeff said...

My favorite way to do turkey breast is brine and throw on the smoker.

Butter and herbs is a beautiful thing together especially under the skin.

35 seems like a lot but if you get that many meals you are still way ahead.

noble pig said...

Okay you have seriously just made me pine for Thanksgiving. That looks delicious.

Joyce said...

Was it free range perhaps or was the total meal $35? I find turkey breasts are expensive here also so I buy them on sale and stock my freezer with them. No matter what the price it is a delicious meal and I like any meal that has plenty of leftovers so that I can get a mid-week break from cooking. I looked at your Easter dinner and I laughed because I too have found that people do not want to cook but they sure can show up and eat:) I like the photo of your Moms Easter pie. I posted my photo and recipe on my blog and I also made the Easter bread with the colored eggs which I also posted. I made one this year with meats but I really like the one for dessert. My Mom would make both and they were so good. I am originally from you area and graduated WP high way back when. I know your area well and it is lovely there in the Spring so get out today with your turkey sandwich and enjoy the weekend.
Joyce

Donna-FFW said...

Except for thanksgiving, I always opt for buying the breast. Looks so delicious. Nice crisp skin..

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Ooh, you're making me want to roast a turkey now.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Melissa - Yes, I do make things like mooshed up offical recipe instructions! I do sometimes wonder if people understand my recipes when I go into my own langauge. :-D

Sue, Jeff, Joyce - (And thanks for stopping by Joyce)Yes, the breast was $35 at Whole Foods. I got a lot of mileage out of it. 2 dinners and about 5 lunches.

And Sue, I put a fruit compote I had in my freezer over the turkey the second night. It wasn't cranberries, but it was pretty good.

Sara, Cathy, Heather - Dig in and try one. Definitely no need to wait for Thanksgiving. It's a great thing to have around if you're really busy. You make it one night and have it all week - just like Thanksgiving!

Donna - I'd never do a whole turkey when it's not Thanksgiving either. I can't imagine how just two people could go through the leftovers!

The Duo - Great ideas all. I should be having more fun with these leftovers, but I seem to be mostly sticking to sandwiches.

Susan - Go ahead and do one. Let's get a chain of roasted turkey blogs going!

Emily said...

Mmm what a meal! I love turkey. I'm dying to try those potatoes soon.

Joyce said...

I forgot completely about the Frugal Gourmet. He was the only guy cooking on TV in those days. Your comment on my blog made me laugh. I also forgot he turned out to be a nut job too. The first meal I made for my husband I started a fire in the oven. I forgot to take out all the things I kept in the oven for lack of storage and sadly watched them either burn or melt. I think the landlord was happy when we moved after the year:)

Stacey Snacks said...

Rach,
I buy my big turkey breasts at Trader Joe's. They are half that price for the same size, and they are good Empire brand!
I love a roast turkey breast, as you know!