Pages

Monday, May 11, 2009

How to Handle a "Food Block"

"Food Block". It's like writer's block, except you are stuck with new ideas for what to make for dinner. This is a big deal if you're a food blogger and need meals you can blog about!

Do I remedy that by going through cookbooks and magazines and reading blogs and looking at websites? I should shouldn't I?

Instead I just said, "Take lots of pictures and try to jazz up an ordinary recipe with a splashy blog.

Start by drawing your inspiration from some colorful tomates you see in the store.

Roast them at 400 for about 10 minutes until they're soft and a little wrinkly.

Cook some minced garlic - I'd say between 2 and 4 cloves - and a few red pepper flakes in 2 tablespoons olive oil.

Add your tomatoes. Add a handful of fresh basil leaves and some white wine. Cook a few minutes more so tomatoes soften and flavors blend.Toss with cooked ravioli and garnish with some toasted pine nuts.

I'm not unblocked, but I had dinner and a new blog post!

9 comments:

melissa said...

And a good dinner at that.

But oh I hear ya on the food block! Ugh!

Bunny said...

I love tomatoes, seriously this would be a wonderful dinner for me. Do you make your own ravioli??

noble pig said...

That looks wonderful. Love the colors and the simplicity at work here.

The Duo Dishes said...

Out of the block comes something creative! Just take what's in the kitchen and throw it in a pan. That is the road to good eats.

The Blonde Duck said...

There's inspiration everywhere! :)

Sara said...

Looks great to me! When I run into a block, I turn to my cookbooks for inspiration.

Donna-FFW said...

Wow, nice meal! It looks so delicious.. Id want food block every day if I could come up with dinners like these!!

Emily said...

Oh wow! My kind of meal! Delicious.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Melissa - Glad I'm not the only one.

Bunny - I have made my own ravioli before, with mediocre results. I've also "cheated" and used wonton skins, which is much easier. This meal was pure store bought.

Piggie and Em - Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

Duckie - So true. Sometimes you just have to look for it.

Donna - Never wish for a food block. Trust me! IT's scary!

Sara - You'd think I'd do something so smart like look at a cookbook? I don't always think logically.