Pages

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

An Indulgent Springtime Meal

Some days you just want a big fat steak. When the craving hits, I go with it. It was one of those nights. I was having steak - a NY strip! It's an indulgence of the best kind.


What about Sir Pickypants? How about a nice chunk of halibut for him?
It's also springtime and there aren't many local vegetables available, but there are a few here and there. One of the things you can get is fiddlehead ferns.

They look like alien insects, don't they? They're a very scary vegetable.


I made a compote of fiddleheads and mushrooms once before. I had hoped to be able to replicate it exactly last night, but unfortunately, spring onions don't seem to be available. Regular onions would have to suffice. White wine and cream should be part of such a compote, but I had no cream.

Steak, seared in a cast iron pan and finished in a 400 degree oven for 7 minutes. I often like to rub these with a fun seasoning, but salt and pepper were all I required this night.

I was more creative with the halibut. I used rosemary, white wine, and capers. For someone who doesn't eat fish, I don't do too badly cooking it.

Mushroom-Fiddlehead Compote

Ingredients

  • 2 Tbl butter
  • 1 onion, finely diced
  • 10 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • 3-4 cups fiddleheads
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Wash your fiddleheads well. Then wash them again. When you think they're washed enough, wash them again. These suckers are full of schmutz. Place in a pot of simmering water for 10 minutes.

Heat butter in a pan. Add onions and cook until softened. Add mushrooms and fiddleheads. Cook until mushrooms are soft. Add wine and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add salt and pepper as you see fit. (Optional, add a touch of cream at the end)

A Fish Dish Just for the Halibut

Ingredients

  • 2 large halibut fillets
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 Tbl olive oil
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 2 Tbl fresh rosemary chopped
  • 1 Tbl capers roughly chopped
  • 2 Tbl butter

Spinkle fillets with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a pan and cook fillets on each side until flaky and firm. Remove from pan and keep warm.

Pour white wine into pan and add rosemary and capers. Scrape any bits from the bottom of the pan. Allow wine to reduce slightly. Swirl in butter and pour sauce over fish.

12 comments:

noble pig said...

I want a steak everyday.

I would do anything to try fiddleheads. I've never seen them here.

I know someone who named their winery fiddlehead...very cool.

The Blonde Duck said...

Steak or halibut? How would I CHOOSE?

Heather said...

Fiddleheads are one of the prettiest vegetables of springtime. I can't wait for garlic scapes, too.

Surf and turf - the dinner of kings!

Rachel said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! Your meal looks DELICIOUS!!!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Cathy - I have to say fiddleheads are a little boring, but I always feel like I need to buy them when the season comes because they're around for such a short time.

Some people compare them to asparagus, but they do have a big advantage over asparagus. They don't make your pee smell bad!

Blondie - I guess that would be a hard choice for you since you do write poems to halibut. No brainer for me though. ;-)

Heather - Guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;-) I missed the garlic scapes last season. I'm hoping to get in on that one this year!

Rachel - Happy to stop by. It's always nice to see a blog of another Rachel with a picky husband!

Emily said...

Mmm steak. I've never had fiddleheads before. I'm intrigued...

peter said...

Fiddleheads look pretty, but I just can't figure out how to enjoy them. I used to buy them compulsively, along with ramps, because the season is so short, but I just don't like the taste. Pairing with mushrooms seems like a good idea, though.

Donna-FFW said...

Steak for me. I have never tried fiddleheads. The halibut looks delicious. But I am all about the meat really, take that how you please;)

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Em - Give fiddleheads a try if you can get them.

Peter - You hit hte nail on the head. I have that same feeling of "You have to eat them because you won't get them again until this time next year." I still feel guilty that I have found no ramps this year.


Donna - I'll take it to mean you wnat the steak. Of course if someone else was serving the meal, I might take it otherwise. ;-)

Sara said...

There's nothing like a good steak! I love fiddleheads, they're such a great seasonal treat.

Theresa said...

Steak and haibut both look good. And so do the fiddleheads. I never had them before.

Peter M said...

I would have had both...a fine surf & turf dinner and the steak is perfectly pink!