Pages

Monday, June 15, 2009

Baking for a Cause

Thanks for all your patience and kind notes. You, my readers, are the awesomest! The recital (not a competition, just a performance thank goodness) was full of bluffs, blunders, errors, and miscounts, but my family in the audience told me it looked great. I had one tap routine and one jazz routine. My husband surreptitiously took video of the tap routine and is threatening to put it on YouTube.

So after spending all of Saturday practicing and practicing and practicing and then performing Saturday night (followed up with a grilled cheese, waffle fries, and a chocolate egg cream at the diner afterwards), my busy time was not up yet. My office is doing a fundraiser for the American Cancer society. We're participating in the Relay For Life on Friday and we had a Monday morning bake sale.

Every bake sale has cookies and brownies, so I like to do something different.

I made a cherry-almond pie. You can get the recipe from the Williams Sonoma website.


I also made a blueberry buttermilk cake. I saw this recipe on both Stacey Snacks and Smitten Kitchen. The recipe is supposed to be made wiht raspberries, but I had a glut of blueberries in the house and decided to use them instead.

The pie was a big hit and sold out by the end of the day. I even purchased a slice for myself (I found the almond flavor a bit lacking). The blueberry cake was less popular, although one of our analysts who was out of the office yesterday said today he would buy all leftovers, so it will be gone this morning.

I'll also be doing the ACS Relay for Life. If anyone is interested in sponsoring me, I'll post the link.

12 comments:

Stacey Snacks said...

Rach,
I made that buttermilk cake again last night....I like it best with the raspberries.
I would've bought 2 slices of each!

noble pig said...

I can't believe it didn't sell out...I would have bought the whole thing!

Sue said...

I would love to see the video on YouTube. That might inspire me to sponsor a mile or two...

You made those two gorgeous things after you had killed yourself dancing?!! Wow! WHO doesn't love cherry pie? They both looked gorgeous.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Aww.. thanks you guys. You're all so sweet!

The Blonde Duck said...

What a wonderful thing to do! Now if we could eat for a cause, that would be even nicer...:)

Emily said...

The cake and the pie look amazing! I would have bought the rest of the cake, too.

How would you boost up the almond flavor I wonder?

Bellini Valli said...

Baking for a cause is always the best way to share in many ways.

The Duo Dishes said...

The blueberry buttermilk cake looks too good for words. Yours looks perfect really.

Melissa said...

I am in absolute admiration of your dancing in front of an audience. So impressed. And I bet it went great - you're always your worst critic, you know. ;)

Nice job baking for a cause. I easily would have gone for the blueberry one over the other because I'm not a fan of cherries. Looks great!

Adam said...

I will totally love to see that video. Come on, if I can be in a video in speedo, surely I can see a little tapping :)

I'm a big fan of your blueberry cake. It looks great, and totally is different by bake sale standards.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Duckie - I would love to eat for a cause too! Maybe we should start our own charity.

Em - I think if I did this again I might add more nuts or even add a little almond extract.

Val - Yes, this is a great way to do something I love and support something that's meaningful.

DD - Thanks.

Melissa - I'm a HUGE attention whore, so I'll do almost anything in front of an audience as long as I have my clothes on.

Adam - He hasn't posted it yet. Perhaps I spent too much time advising him against it? Maybe he just hasn't had the chance to do so.

Mrs. L said...

The raspberry version of the buttermilk cake was amazing. I plan on trying a blueberry version soon too.