Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Little Kale Magic

Leafy greens. I know they're good for me. I know I should eat a lot of them. I know that they are very easily accesible at the farmer's markets in the spring and early summer. I just can't get into them.

Don't get me wrong. I don't dislike them the way I dislike peas, but I can't get excited about them. They either taste too bitter or just sort of vegetal to me. I need tons of garlic to make them taste good. The one way I truly enjoy greens is in pasta dishes mixed with ricotta cheese. That doesn't go over well with Sir Pickypants, Lord of Lactose Intolerance. Nonetheless, I buy them because I need variety in my veggies and they are so easy to obtain this time of year.

This weekend I purchased some kale at the farmer's market.


I don't mind kale. Taste-wise it's neither too bitter nor too bland. I don't like the texture though. I have always found it tough. I never liked chewing through those leaves.

But what if I didn't have to chew so hard?

Last night I discovered a magical things known as CRISPY KALE. Now when you make something "crispy" it tends to mean you are likely to make the taste and texture of just about anything delicious. Crispy kale is easy to make and the leaves melt in your mouth.

No recipe needed. All you need to do is:

1. Heat oven to 350.
2. Trim stems from kale and toss with salt and olive oil.
3. Lay on a baking sheet in thin layer and stick it on the lowest oven rack.
4. After 10 minutes, give them a flip and then cook until the leaves are delicate and cripsy.

Light, salty, crispy vegetable bits. It's like eating potato chips, only it's actually good for you.


That's a lamb chop on the plate. You know the veggies are good when I'm more excited about them than I am about the meat!

11 comments:

Susan @ SGCC said...

What a cool idea! I really like kale, but I've never heard of making it "crispy". I will definitely have to try this!

Melissa said...

Definitely a new one to me as well. Sounds delicious, especially for someone who already loves leafy greens.

You don't like peas? It's funny I never thought anyone wouldn't like them, but I have a lot who don't. Something about the bursty quality, though it could be the taste for you.

Bellini Valli said...

Terrific way to enjoy those leafy veggies:D

Adam said...

I've heard great things about this crispy kale and kale chips, so I have to look into this. I wonder if other greens work the same way. We have collards galore here, or at least used to :)

Thanks for the deadlift kudos. What's up with your sholder? Did you ever do any rehab or anything? Do you want some?

Talita said...

I never heard about this kale. I don't peas too! =)

The Blonde Duck said...

Those had to be fabulous veggies!

Sue said...

THAT is interesting. It makes me think of crunchy deep fried seaweed. I usually blanch it and then sauté it in olive oil and garlic, but I really like this idea. Wow! You're not just a pretty face.

Rebekka said...

Ooooh, GREAT idea! Usually I sautee it with golden raisins and toasted pine nuts, and maybe some diced bacon for good measure. But, crispy?!?! That sounds phenomenal!

Lo said...

Oh, absolutely! My dear Rhubarb! You have discovered one of the wonders of the veggie world :)

We love kale -- all sorts of ways. So, I know that I'm biased. BUT roasted kale is just awesome.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Thanks everyone. I hope you all go out and try this soon whether you like kale or not.

Melissa - Ever since I was a child just the smell of peas has made me sick. I'm just really sensitive to how they smell and taste.

Adam - I have never liked collards due to their texture. I'd definitely try them this way though. Give it a shot.

Rebekka - Pine nuts and bacon would be hard to beat!

Peter M said...

Rachel, I love the idea and this is a great way to get more peeps eating kale...an under-rated green.