Pages

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Penne Al Cavolfiore

It was another Friday night and I wanted to take it easy, but I was thinking that I should try to make something a bit more nutritious than hot dogs. However, I wanted something so easy that others could make the same dish without the need of a recipe. Here are just a few guidelines for an awesome pasta dish. You're good to go.

Along with the kale I bought at the farmer's market this week, I noticed that cauliflower was beginning to make an appearance. I snatched some up right away.

Cauliflower, like kale, is best cooked in the oven. I tossed it in some olive oil and salt and put it in the oven at 400 degrees until it looked like this (I'd say it was about 30 minutes).
In a pan I heated 2 tablespoons of olive oil and threw in 4 cloves worth of minced garlic and a hearty pinch of red pepper flakes. Once that was starting to smell nice, I added the juice and zest of one lemon, and about a half a cup of white wine.

Finally I tossed in a pound of cooked penne rigate and the cauliflower along with a little choped fresh parsley (not shown).
My portion was tossed with a generous amount of pecorino cheese. My cheese-hating, lactose-intolerant husband preferred his plain.

Then I sat back and enjoyed, remembering that a dinner without large slabs of meat or without chocolate can still be delicious.

13 comments:

Adam said...

I love cauliflower because it can fit in anywhere, and plays well with other food. I would love it roasted with some sauce and wine :)

I really like your simple Friday approach. So far everything is tasty and ready in like 20 mins flat.

Mrs. L said...

So agree that cauliflower is best when roasted in the oven. I don't think I've ever made it with pasta before, I'll have to try this.

Donna-FFW said...

It certainly looks delicious. I so love how the cauliflower looks in this dish!

Melissa said...

I keep wanting to do a cauliflower pasta, but Steve would ask where the meat was. *Eye roll* I agree that a meal can be delicious without it (and without chocolate, but for a non-sweets person like me, that's a given).

(P.S. I totally had a hot dog for dinner on Friday hehehe.)

Emily said...

Mmm cauliflower in pasta sounds delicious.

How can you not love cheese?! I don't understand it.

Sue said...

That is such a great way to cook cauliflower. My other favorite way is to have it masquerade as mashed potatoes. I wish I could edit the link to make it look purdier, but you HAVE to try this recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes
/george-stella/mock-garlic-mashed-potatoes-recipe/index.html?rsrc=search

I changed it a tiny bit here:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/
recipes/george-stella/mock-
garlic-mashed-potatoes-recipe/index.html?rsrc=search

Sue said...

Wait! That last link was wrong. Here's the right one:
http://foodnetworkmusings.blogspot.
com/2007/03/cauliflower-as-art-
well-not-exactly-but.html

The Blonde Duck said...

I've never been brave enough to try cauliflower. Perhaps I will.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Adam - I have to admit it's not one of my favorite veggies, but it really rocks when you get those crispy brown bits on it.

L - Definitely try the pasta-c-flower combo. Get your antioxidants into your pasta.

Donna - You should try it too.

Melissa - Hot dogs rock. Never apologize for eating one!

Em - It's the lactose intolerance thing. Besides, some people are weirded otu by the whole "spoiled milk" concept.

Sue - I'll check it out. Hubby likes cauliflower more than I do and once I tried to do the mash thing and he HATED it. I think that's because I was winging it with the recipe. I need someone to tell me how to do it properly.

Heather said...

Cauliflower is so much nicer roasted. Gets all sweet and earthy. Love it!

The Blonde Duck said...

Silly--I do Chihuahuaerobics! That's the only reason I look good! Queen Bitty whips my butt into shape!

Lo said...

Yay for the farmer's market!

It's true. Roasted cauliflower is the bomb. When I'm feeling evil, I throw it in with caramelized onions and alfredo :)

It's also great pureed as a pasta sauce!

Bunny said...

You're making me HUNGRY!! I can just imagine how good this was!