Pages

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Shhh...Don't Tell Him

My husband does not like peppers.

Or so he says.

He will avoid them in salads. He won't eat pepper heavy dishes like fajitas (or if he does, he'll pick the peppers out). I'm convinced that he has an unfair prejudice against peppers. He doesn't understand what they taste like and how much he'd like them if he did.

Feeling this way, I'm not against employing a few covert tactics. I have been known to cut up peppers really small so he can't pick them out. I'll even puree them.

One time I made a red pepper soup for a dinner party. He didn't know what it was until I served it. He finished the bowl. He didn't eat the leftovers, but he finished his first portion.

A few weeks ago I made a chicken with roasted pepper sauce. I didn't tell him what the sauce was. He simply ate the chicken and told me, "That was a really good sauce." HAH! I knew it. He likes the taste of red peppers!

Last night I was having a major craving for tortellini and decided to make them for dinner. I was thinking I wanted some kind of creamy sauce on them. Tomatoes just weren't speaking to me. I wanted something else. I remembered the chicken in red pepper sauce. Hubby liked it. Why not make a similar sauce for my tortellini.

My recipe isn't terribly original. You have probably seen many sauces like this before. You probably have a similar one in your own recipe box. I'm posting it anyway. I just feel like it.

I added some roasted asparagus to make sure we get our greens in. I roast the asparagus because that's the only way I like it. Feel free to saute it with your onions and garlic.


He liked the pasta, but wasn't as enthusiastic as he was about the chicken. Do you think he's on to me? I won't tell him if you won't.

Tortellini with Red Pepper Cream Sauce and Asparagus

Ingredients
4 red bell peppers
2 bunches asaparagus, trimmed
Olive Oil
1 onion
4 cloves of garlic
1 handful fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
2 Tbl dry sherry
1/2 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper
2 9 oz packages of tortellini

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Coat peppers and asparagus with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place on baking sheets. Roast asparagus for 10-20 minutes depending on how crispy you like it. Roast peppers for about 20-30 minutes or until skins blister.

Chop asparagus into pieces and set aside. Put peppers in plastic bags. Wait a few minutes and then remove the skin. Chop into pieces.

In a skillet heat some olive oil and cook the onions and garlic until soft. Add the basil. Add the peppers and stir it all around to coat. Add the sherry and let everything cook down for another minute or two.

Transfer to a food processor and puree until smooth. Mix in the heavy cream.

Cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain and toss with sauce and roasted asparagus.

Serve with grated parmesan if you like.

10 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

Did he guess there were peppers? I hope he doesn't read your blog!

Bunny said...

Don't you just love it when our hubbies say they don't like something and then eat it when they don't know they're eating it and....LIKE IT!! I understand completely, my hubby does that with nuts, I DON"T LIKE NUTS!! But only if he sees them, if I grind them up and put them into a dessert he likes them!! LOL Go figure!!

Donna-FFW said...

Will he read this post? How funny he doesnt know he enjoys something so mch that he hates.. Men, gotta love em.

Now this dish sounds delicious, roasted red pepper sauce.. totally something I am crazy for!

Steph said...

Don't you just love it that he actually likes peppers, but doesn't know it?

Mrs. L said...

My husband swears he dislike a few things that I've snuck in on him and he's never noticed! This recipe sounds like one I could cook and we'd both like.

peter said...

One of the only vegetables I don't eat is green bell peppers. They're just not ripe. Red, on the other hand, are as good as veggies get. Nice work with the trickery.

Adam said...

How can someone not like red peppers? While it's not totally fair, it is kinda cool how you disguised peppers a few times to trick him :) It's that "all in the head" kind of thing.

I can't wait to see what other ingredients you're super sneaky about :)

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Duckie - I don't think he guessed, but he at least was kind enough not to ask.

Bunny - Too funny about the nuts. I have a friend who is the same way. If she sees a big chunk of nut in her food, she won't eat it, but chopped fine nuts and nut butters she's cool with. She says it's a consistency thing.

Donna - Good question. He might read this post. I'm never sure if he reads this blog regularly. I know he reads it occasionally. He hasn't accused me of poisoning him yet.

Steph- Indeed! I think he thinks he doesn't like them because no one ever made him eat one.

Mrs. L. - Thanks for your comment and for stpoping by!

Peter - I know a few people who don't like green peppers. I like them raw, but don't like them as much when they're cooked.

Adam - I don't get the not liking pepper thing either. It's such a sweet and unassuming vegetable.

I'll have you know that just because there was a dish that contained no actual *pieces* of pancetta in the Farmer's Pasta at my mother's birthday party, I won't say that there were no pancetta *drippings* in the sauce. Just sayin'...

Peter M said...

Red pepper sauce is one of my faves...smoky and zesty.

Melissa said...

Nice covert ops. Hehe.