Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Sugar High Fridays - Strawberry Almond Scones

I recently experienced a very happy combination of events.

First I had a major scone craving. I really wanted to make some scones. While shopping for my scone ingredients, I came across a container of dried strawberries. I thought it would be really fun to put them in my scones.

Not long after I decided to make the scones (but before I actually did make them) I found out that this month's Sugar High Friday has a theme of nuts and fruits. Well a theme about nuts and fruits is right up my alley, no? ;-) It's hosted this month by Mansi of Fun and Food, a charming and very educational blog showcasing vegetarian dishes, Indian food, and easy tasty desserts. It's been a long time since I last participated in a Sugar High Friday (or a blog event of any kind for that matter). I decided I would use it to showcase my scones. All I needed to do is add some nuts to them.

I used a basic scone recipe and substituted a third of the flour with almond meal and added a couple of almonds on top along with those strawberries.



The suckers were HUGE. I cut them into eighths, but the next time I make these, I will definitely cut them in smaller wedges, or perhaps cut them with biscuit cutters and make round scones.

They were very well received. My husband couldn't get enough of them.

Strawberry-Almond Scones

Ingredients
1 cup almond meal
2+ cups all-purpose flour
5 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter
1 egg beaten
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp almond extract
1 cup milk
1 cup dried strawberries
Whole almonds

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease a baking sheet.

Mix together 2 cups of flour, almond meal, salt and baking powder.

In another bowl mix the egg, milk, almond extract and lemon zest.

Put butter and flour mixture in a food processor and pulse until it forms coarse crumbs.

Remove from the food processor and carefully stir in strawberries. Then gently stir in the milk and egg mixture. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead briefly. You may need to add a bit more flour is dough is really sticky.

Roll out into a circle and cut into 8 (or more) wedges. Place on baking sheet and press some whole almonds onto the top of each scone. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

12 comments:

Mansi said...

oh, that's a lovely combo Rachel! glad you got to showcase a recipe for SHF:) thanks so much for baking me the scones!

Becky and the Beanstock said...

Found your blog through Burp! and so glad I did - my fiance is British and is always excited about a new scone recipe. (He also loves rhubarb pie - I'm thinking he'd love this blog : )

Lo said...

Interesting combo for a scone... haven't made scones in an age, but maybe I need to think twice about that :)

Sara said...

I've only made scones once before, but this looks like one I definitely need to make sooner rather than later!

Steph said...

I love almond flavouring, but never thought of mixing it with strawberries. I'll have to try this combination in a cake soon

Adam said...

Awesome idea with the almond meal, I think that really takes it up a level. I've never had a dried strawberry either, but how can you really not like dehydrated anything. I even thought that "space food" stuff was ok when I was a kid :)

Emily said...

Oooh that's a great combination. I bet these scones were delicious. I made some scones tonight, but they're not scone shaped. I don't know if I should post them or not.

Anyway. I wish I had some dried strawberries.

The Duo Dishes said...

You think fresh berries would work as well? Or would that get too soggy? The combination sounds really great.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Mansi - Happy to join in the fun.

Becky - Thanks and thanks for dropping by. I'm not sure your man would like the reason why I call this blog The Essential Rhubarb Pie though.

Lo - Go for the scones!

Sara - You too!

Steph - Sometimes it's all about what you have handy. I happened to have the almond meal and it all made a happy convergence. I'd definitely do this combo again.

Adam - Ha ha. I remember going to the Smithsonian on a school trip and bringing back those freeze-dried strawberries. they were goooooddd. I wasn't even thinking of those when I bought the ones for these scones, but now that you said it, the memories are flooding back.

Emily - Please post! Who cares about the shape. Dried strawberries are definitely tasty tidbits, but the downside is they're a bit pricey.

DD- I'd be a little concerned about fresh strawberries being soggy, which is why I stuck with dried, but I'd be willing to give it a shot with fresh. I thought about it a lot since fresh ones are in season.

The Blonde Duck said...

I love this scone!

Talita said...

I do love scones, but I never tried a sweet scone, just savory! This looks gorgeous!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

And so I feel like eating a scone now! Strawberries and almonds are yummy together!