Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2009

How's This for a Birthday Lunch?

Hi ho! Today I celebrate my 10th year as a 29-year-old.

Thanks to Facebook I have come to notice something. Many of my food blog buddies are also born in July. I know you're not supposed to put any faith in astrology, but Cancers are said to be domestically gifted. We are supposed to be fine cooks. Looking at my fellow Cancerian food bloggers, that really would seem to be true.

Anyway, I started my day by bringing a cake to work. This is not an official Sweet Treat of the Week (I'm saving that for the weekend). I bought some sour cherries the other day and decided I really prefer sweet ones for snacking. I searched the net for a nice dessert recipe that would sweeten the cherries and use things I already had in my kitchen. I found this perfect sour cherry cake at Not Quite Nigella. So on my birthday, I baked a cake for other people. This cake was incredibly easy to make (once I pitted the cherries because I refuse to make people spit pits out when eating one of my desserts) and for something so simple, was incredibly tasty. It was gone within an hour.


Onward to lunch. With all the baking I do for these people, do you think they would take me out to lunch on my birthday? You thought wrong. Cheap(expletive dleted)s! I decided to have a one-woman celebration. I headed to Mr. Frosty's!

Yes, I had ice cream for lunch. It's my birthday. I can do that. YES I CAN!
Mr. Frosty's is just a nice little roadside ice cream stand in Norwalk, CT. The ice cream isn't fancy or homemade. Still, it has a decent variety of both soft and hard ice creams. All the toppings you could want are available with lots of good sundae options. While it may not be The Bellvale Creamery, it's tasty in it's own way.

I indulged in the S'more Sundae. It's graham cracker crumbs, ice cream, hot fudge, and marshmallow sauce. How's that for a good birthday lunch?


A bonus with Mr. Frosty's is the view across the street. It's nice to just sit on the provided picnice benches with my ice cream and a book and just relax.

Of course my husband is taking me for a birthday dinner tonight. You'll just have to wait for that one.

10 comments:

The Duo Dishes said...

Happy anniversary/bday! :) Bdays are the best days to indulge in all things!

Sue said...

Rachel,
Happy Birthday!!! I hope you're having a great dinner! You deserve it.

Did your co-workers KNOW it was your birthday or did they just think you were bringing in that fabulous cake for no reason? I think you should hold off any more treats for those folks until someone gives you a stick of gum, at least. That cake looks Mahhh-velous!!!!!!

Donna-FFW said...

Happy Happy Birthday to you. Hope you have a grand dinner out with hubby! That cake looks fantastic, freaking fantastic , btw.

Steph said...

Happy Birthday! I've never baked with cherries before. If only the ones I bought had a little more flavour instead of tasting like water, I would love to try a cherry cake.

noble pig said...

Happy Birthday to you! And yes having ice cream for lunch was a great idea. Can't wait to hear about the dinner.

Bellini Valli said...

A big birthday hug to a fellow cancerian. My birthday was the 15th..a day to indulge!!

Emily said...

THAT is the perfect birthday lunch! And s'mores! Yum. I would have done the same thing. Oooh, a book, good scenery and ice cream. As Ina would say, how bad can that be?

Hope you had a great birthday! I love the bit about cancers and food bloggers. So true! :)

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Val and Em - Hooray for Cancers! We rock the food world.

Cathy - Thanks. It's great to see so many people agree with me.

Steph - Try a cherry pie some time. The only thing I don't like about baking with cherries it pitting them though.

Donna - Thanks.

Sue - Yes, many people knew it was my birthday. I received some e-cards and e-wishes along with verbal wishes, but alas, no food. A friend of mine who always observes my birthday, but doesn't work on Thursdays gave me a gift certificate for our favorite nail salon the day before.

DD - Thanks.

Jeff said...

Happy birthday!!!

Peter M said...

HAppy 29th Rachel...you look damn good and I'm sure it's all your positive attitude.

Happy cookin'!