Pages

Monday, July 6, 2009

Sweet Treat of the Week - Double Your Pleasure

I had an absolutely splended 4th of July weekend. Thursday was my company picnic. Friday night Kevin and I headed to the Fireman's Carnival and ate awesome tacos. Saturday night I went to a barbecue at my mother's boyfriend's house (which I'll never do again - waaaaayyyy too much family awkwardness in his home), and Sunday evening my good friend and riding instructor, Lynne along with her husband threw another barbecue. When I wasn't out eating, I was at the barn riding, so I haven't been online much to read your blogs or make any posts. I hope to catch up with all of you wonderful people this week and see what you all made and ate this weekend.

Anyway, my weekend was filled with parties, so what better excuse to make dessert? I bookended my weekend with this last week's Sweet Treat of the Week and this week's Sweet Treat of the Week.

So what delights were in store?

The company picnic is also the company bake off. I said in a previous post that the picnic would be the one exception this summer where I baked from a blog rather than from a book. I had found the perfect recipe, a recipe that looked like a surefire winner, in a blog many months ago.

Can you guess who's blog?

Come on. Guess!

Will this help?


The recipe of course is Emily's. These are her Oreo Cream Cheese Brownies. It goes to show you that I never forget a delicious looking recipe when I see one.

They have yet to do the voting, so I don't know if I won. They were gobbled up pretty well at the picnic. I made 32 of them and there were maybe 10 or 12 left when I went home. I had a few people tell me how good they were. However, I heard a few other people singing the praises of other desserts, so I don't know how these will fare once the votes are counted.

For Lynne's party I followed the rule for this summer and I went back to the book.
I made a chocolate chip banana tea cake this week.
I have seen so many great banana bread recipes on the blogs. I have seen them with Nutella and Dulce de Leche and all sorts of interesting ingredients. This cake was just chocolate chips (not that there's anything wrong with that). I was a little disappointed with the texture of this cake. It was almost chewy. Lynne and Kevin both told me it was great, but I thought it could have been better.

Two recipes from this book down and neither has thrilled me. They haven't been bad, but nothing I have made so far has been as good as Emily's brownies.

If you still want to try, email me for the recipe.

16 comments:

Sue said...

Those look amazing! It doesn't surprise me that Em's recipe was so fantastic, but it's disappointing to buy a book and have its recipes not be great.

I used to believe that a cookbook was worth its price (in the days when cookbooks were 20ish dollars OR LESS) if I found ONE recipe that I made over and over. I expect more these days.

Bellini Valli said...

Funny how certain recipes call your name:D

Donna-FFW said...

Oh these oreo brownies sound like heaven. I will have to try them. Let us know if you win!!

Adam said...

I saw that cream cheese and I was like yup... that'll work for me :) Then again, has anyone EVER gone wrong with her recipes? Nope :)

Glad you had a happy forth (awkwardness aside). You're making me wish I was riding again... it's been years already.

Emily said...

OH gosh! You made them! It makes me so happy when you bake my stuff. It does make me nervous though. I always want people to enjoy the recipes. I mean, what if my tastebuds are off?

I'm glad you and everyone liked them.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Sue - I scrutinze every cookbook I buy because all too often there aren't enough recipes that SPP and I will both eat. That's why I get most of my recipes off the internet these days!

Val - Indeed. Recipes can really get into your head.

Donna - You must try. Very delicious. I wish they would do the voting and announce a winner already.

Adam - Nope. Never tried anything of Emily's that wasn't delicious.

And start riding again! It's a great way to make friends - four legged and two legged!

Emily - Your recipes never let me down. You have become myown personal dessert cookbook!

The Blonde Duck said...

That's a shame about the cookbook...I find a lot of bloggers have fabulous recipes!

Chrystal said...

OMG. Those brownies! They should be banned. Looks like one would literally be chocolate overload, but it'd be worth it.

Steph said...

These look really good! I love the thick layer of cream cheese.

noble pig said...

Those brownies...holy, holy cow-o-licious.

Lo said...

Oh, wow. I'm dying just looking at all that chocolate.

That is disappointing about the book... but I have a couple of cookbooks that never fail to disappoint at my house too. Just gotta get myself to STOP using them is all :)

Bunny said...

You just sent my sweet tooth into a fit after seeing those brownies!!

The Blonde Duck said...

I'll tell you a little secret--next week I'm going on vacation and there will be a double gift and twirl. :)

Sara said...

I. want. those. brownies!!! They look amazing.

Kerstin said...

The brownies look so good and super addicting! Emily always has the best recipes :) Hope you win!

Maria said...

Oh yum! I love that Chocolate book!