Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

You Know What I Love Making?

...Chicken soup!

You know what's great about chicken soup?

You take that ugly pile of carcasses from your freezer and old veggies from your refrigerator and throw the big mess in a pot.


Yet somehow, through the magic of cooking, in the end you are rewarded with the fact that you turned all that ugliness into a beautiful bowl of soup.



Yes, that's a matzo ball. Yes, I made matzo balls three months after Passover ended. I'm the (dis)Order Cook. I am the Meshugge Shiksa. Don't expect anything I do to make any sense. Making sense is the antithesis of my blog (and my life).

There actually was a good reason to make this. The hubby was in a horse show on Sunday and during the competition, his horse suddenly spooked. She reared up a bit and hit him in the chin with her neck. He got a nasty bruise on his chin and his jaw is rather sore. Chewing is a bit painful. Chicken soup with soft noodles and matzo balls is just what the doctor ordered.

I got the ultimate compliment from him after he ate it. "Grandma would be proud." Nothing like hearing a nice Jewish boy telling you his bubbe would approve.

12 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

I love making it too. Somethiing so homey and comforting about it! Love the smell it makes while cooking. Looks fantastic!

Steph said...

Nothing beats homemade chicken soup!

Adam said...

Ouch, too bad about his jaw. Is the horse called Mike Tyson? :)

I agree with the chicken soup. It's half childhood memories, and just plain delicious :)

Bellini Valli said...

Nothing like a bowl of delicious chicken noodle soup to cure what ails you:D The ultimate comfort food:D

Lo said...

It's true. Chicken stock is one of the wonders of the world -- and it's SO GOOD for you!

On the other hand, it's summer. And I don't do much soup in the summer... but you almost have me convinced to try it :) Especially with those Disorderly Matzo balls. SO GOOD!

Sue said...

That's fantastic looking. Yikes to that horrible accident! Poor thing.

The Blonde Duck said...

Chicken soup soothes the soul!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Donna - So true. There is nothing like the smell of chicken soup cooking. My husband always says it takes him back to his mother's kitchen.

Steph- That's right!

Adam - No, but only because she's not a boy.

Val - You know what they say - Jewish penecillin!

Lo - I always do crazy things like make chicken soup in the summer. What the heck. That's what AC is for. :-D

Sue - He's making a pretty good recovery at least.

Duckie - And the tummy!

Emily said...

Poor hubby! Ugh, that makes me sick. I hope he'd doing better. I know this soup would make me feel better. It looks perfect! I haven't had enough matzo ball soup in my lifetime.

Sara said...

I love matzo ball soup. In fact, I have a package of the dry ingredients in the pantry left over from passover!

Marta said...

It doesn't need to make sense as long as it's delicious!!!! I lovemaking broths as well, you're right, it is like magic!!!!
I'm new to your site and I really like your witty writing and your comforting recipes, I'll continue to read you :)

Peter M said...

Chicken soup is likely THE comfort food. You spruced this soup up nicely with the farfalle.