Pages

Friday, August 7, 2009

Faking It on a Friday

It was another Friday and I wanted to stick to something easy.

I took a look at what I had in the house. Bingo! I had leftover tomato sauce in the freezer from the last time I made spaghetti and meatballs. Let's have pasta.

Wait a minute! Pasta and tomato sauce? Nice, but boring. Anyone can do that. I wanted something a little more interesting.

That's when I realized that I seem to be seeing a lot of recipes lately for arrabbiata sauce on the blogs. Arrabbiata sauce seems to come in a few different forms. I have seen some with meat (and some very interesting variations on meat) and some without. Some don't even have tomatoes. The main component in arrabbiata is hot pepper.

With so many options and variations, it seemed that I could fake a decent arribiata using what I had in my kitchen and a few small purchases.

I started mine with some thinly sliced onion and a dried red pepper in the pan. Then I cooked it until the onion was soft.
Next came some links of Italian chicken sausage removed from the casings. Of course because of Sir Pickypants, it must be chicken sausage.
Here's where the recipe went south a little. I had asked for hot sausage at the meat counter. When I got the sausage home, I found out they had given me mild sausage. This kind of destroyed the point.

Then in goes the tomato sauce. We cook that through for a while and toss it with penne. In this case I used wholewheat penne rigate. I used wholewheat penne because I'm still trying to clean up my diet after my week of gluttony in Chincoteague. I'm sure Sir Pickypants agrees with me on the topic in spirt, although I'm not sure he was happy about actually having to eat it.


A little wine would be great added to this sauce too, although I had none in the house to try it myself. It would also be nice to wash this down with a nice glass of chianti. Again, my attempts to be clean for a while suggest I stay away from alcohol.
It was pretty good. We both liked it, but it tasted like tomato sauce with a little heat and some sausage thrown in. I would have liked more heat, which would have happened if I had been given the spicy sausage.

Penne Arrabbiata Al Breve Cuoco Di Disordine

Ingredients
1 Tbl olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
3 dried red pepper, crushed (seeds removed if you wish)
3 large links spicy Italian sausage, removed from casing and crumbled
1 quart marinara sauce (You didn't use sauce from a jar, right? RIGHT? How about I just look the other way while you pour the sauce into the pot and get the container out of my site. I'll trust you this time.)
1 pound penne rigate (or whatever pasta you wish)

Heat oil gently in a saucepan. Add onions and red pepper and cook until onions are nice and soft.

Add chicken sausage breaking up and stir to cook through.

Add the sauce and allow to simmer for a good 30 minutes or so.

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and serve with sauce.

12 comments:

Bellini Valli said...

I love easy to prepare so we can get out there and ENJOY!!

Emily said...

Yum! This looks great. I love spicy pasta and sausage.

Donna-FFW said...

Cant resist, faking it, sausage, come on.. I thought you were going somewhere else with this post.

Adam said...

Too bad about the wrong sausage, but I still like the dish and how you just came together with it. Plus that word arrabbiata is just so cool. Say that without smiling :)

Daniel said...

There is no easier sauce than an arrabbiata sauce. Happy you could make the most of what you already had on hand and still put together a really easy dinner! My kind of meal.

PS: thank you for the link!

Dan
Casual Kitchen

noble pig said...

Very nice but shame on you for not having any wine! LOL!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Val - You phrase that so nicely. I think my "get out and enjoy" consisted of a DVD and going to bed after dinner. :-D

Em - Thanks.

Donna - I have said my dirty mind just can't hold a candle to yours. Maybe it was because my sausage wasn't spicy that my post wasn't either?

Adam - It is a fun word. Then again, Italian words are fun in general. Say it like Giada, roll the rs in arrabbiata! "Angry" was never so much fun.

Daniel - Well, thank you for the inspiration!

Cathy - I hang my head. Does it help that I went out to dinner last night and had the chianti I didn't have on Friday night?

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Val - You phrase that so nicely. I think my "get out and enjoy" consisted of a DVD and going to bed after dinner. :-D

Em - Thanks.

Donna - I have said my dirty mind just can't hold a candle to yours. Maybe it was because my sausage wasn't spicy that my post wasn't either?

Adam - It is a fun word. Then again, Italian words are fun in general. Say it like Giada, roll the rs in arrabbiata! "Angry" was never so much fun.

Daniel - Well, thank you for the inspiration!

Cathy - I hang my head. Does it help that I went out to dinner last night and had the chianti I didn't have on Friday night?

The Blonde Duck said...

That looks tasty to me!

peter said...

Too bad about the mild, but sausage and red sauce tends to smooth out those rough edges. I'm slowly teaching my almost 5-yr. old to tolerate levels of pepperoncini that adults enjoy.

Sue said...

Yummy! That's so annoying when they give you the wrong ingredient. They should have delivered the RIGHT sausage to your HOUSE! Maybe this is where a little chipotle chili powder would have fit right in. And sometimes I forget the power of good old black pepper.

Susan @ SGCC said...

Looks delish! I made this same dish for dinner tonight, except without the sausage. And yes, I did use a jar sauce, but a very good quality one from the Italian specialty store. And, if you tell my mother on me, I'll deny it! ;)