Pages

Monday, August 3, 2009

I Have Returned - And Cooking Again

I'm back from my fabulous vacation in Chincoteague. You can read all about it here or you can just look at the photos (I also have a smaller set of my photos, complete with captions, on my Facebook). I had a great time with mostly good weather (there were almost always thunderstorms in the evenings, but the beach days were sunny). I saw lots of ponies. I also ate plenty of good food.

The food? Oh yes, the food. I ate ice cream and funnel cakes. I ate giant steaks and pork chops. I ate racks of ribs and pulled pork. I ate and ate and ate.

Of course I have now seen the photos and therefore how I looked in a swimsuit, so I need to tone it down a bit in the food department, wouldn't you say?

I cooked my first meal back home so simply that it almost doesn't deserve a post, but I thought I had a few tricks up my sleeve with the meal, so I decided to post about it anyway. These recipes were so easy, I don't really need to give you recipes.

Here is my First Meal Home.


The Burger

This was a pound of ground turkey mixed with one package of thawed frozen chopped spinach, a half a grated onion, a few grates of parmesan, and a few grates of nutmeg. I sauteed some portobello mushoom strips and used them to make a pretty bed for the burgers.

If you make these, add more salt than I did. I thought they were a bit bland.

The Cole Slaw

This was the fun one. This was my new invention, Raspberry Lime Cole Slaw. I mixed a bag of cole slaw mix with 1/4 cup of olive oil, two tablespoons raspberry balsamic vinaigrette, the juice of one lime, a tablespoon of honey, and some salt and pepper. I tossed some whole rasperries in there along with some almonds. It wasn't hugely creative, but it was a little bit of a fun change from the norm.

I hope to have a Sweet Treat going this week. Yes, I'll try to do a chocolate one, but I have a new ingredient to work with this week as well. More on that to come.

10 comments:

Adam said...

Ooooh turkey burgers, I've been craving those and good call on the nutmeg. That spice is finding it's way into everything :) I'm glad you had a good vacation, I've been missing you around here. Stay cool, buddy.

Theresa said...

I think at some point we need a reality check and slim down a bit. Burger and slaw look good and to a good start.

noble pig said...

Oh my word...this looks very yummy! I just added you as a friend on FB.

The Duo Dishes said...

The cole slaw sounds great! So different and zesty.

The Blonde Duck said...

I love turkey burgers! I never thought of mixing spinach in there.

I'm glad you're back! :)

Donna-FFW said...

Welcome back. What a nice meal you prepared to come home to. Turkey burger sounds good!!

Sue said...

Welcome back! (I'm singing that.)

Those pictures of the horsies in the water are amazing! What a beautiful place!

Yummy burgers and that's a great idea for cole slaw.

Marta said...

It's nice to come back from extravagant vacation meals to a simple, comforting home-cooked dinner. Glad you had fun :)

Emily said...

WELCOME BACK! We missed you. I'm jealous you had funnel cakes. That sounds so good.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Adam - It's the spice that makes you go, "Hmmmm...what is that making my food taste like eggnog?" ;-)

Theresa - True, although sometimes I think I have needed a reality check for 30 years. :-D

Cathy - Thanks for the FB add.

DD - Thanks.

Duckie - I am always experimenting with turkey burgers since I find them bland. Stay tuned for more variations.

Sue - Glad you liked the photos and the slaw.

Marta - True, although sometimes I miss the meals out (although my waistline votes otherwise)


Em - Thanks.