Pages

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Pefect Pasta Lunch

In my last post I mentioned a nice trip I made to the farmer's market this weekend. I didn't just pick up tomatoes and a pepper. I also picked up some kale, some onions and some carrots. You know what else I picked up?

Free-range spicy Italian sausage!


Is this one of the most beautiful sausages you have ever seen? **Awaits comment from Donna**

I had a nice dinner with the spicy chicken, but I needed something tasty and reasonably healthful for lunch. I squished my brains around a bit and came up with a new, simple pasta dish.

First I sauteed some onions and LOTS garlic (Did I write a post about restraint? Why?). Then I added the kale.




I cut the sausage into links and cooked it separately. Then I sliced it up and added it to the kale. I threw in a splash of white wine for good measure.

I tossed in a box of whole wheat rotelle and then plenty of ricotta cheese for creaminess and parmesan for saltiness.



Don't you just want to eat this? (Donna may have an interesting answer for this one too.)



Rotelle with Kale and Sausage

Ingredients

1 pound spicy Italian sausage
2 small onions (or one large-to-medium one), finely diced
4-6 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tbl olive oil
1 big bunch of kale, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup white wine
1 pound part-skim ricotta
1 pound whole-wheat (or regular if you prefer) rotelle
Copious amounts of grated parmesan

Cut sausage into links and cook separately. Cut into slices.

Heat olive oil in a large pan. Cook onions until soft. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.

Add kale and cook down.

Add in sausage and wine. Allow wine to evaporate off.

Meanwhile cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and mix into the kale mixture. Stir in ricotta and parmesan. Add salt to taste.

14 comments:

The Duo Dishes said...

Copious is a great quantity for cheese. You can never go wrong.

The Blonde Duck said...

That looks beyond delightful. I LOVE pasta.

Donna-FFW said...

I like my sausage to have a little more width than that. Length will do me just fine;)

A Feast for the Eyes said...

This is exactly the kind of recipe I'd love to make. Anything that has lots of garlic is already a winner. I love kale, love pasta, love sausage. Gosh, this makes me hungry!

Emily said...

Ahaha I got a kick out of those Donna comments.

This pasta lunch looks incredible. We definitely don't have sausage like that around here.

Theresa said...

What a great dish.

Adam said...

Hahaha um I'm just going to let the sausages lie on that one :)

Anyways I like what you did with the garlic infusion there, that's the way it just has to be :)

Dandy said...

Thats a long sausage!

This dish looks yummy and comforting!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

DD - I never like to tell people to measure parmesan. Too much is not enough! ;-)

duckie - Pasta is manna from heaven indeed.

Donna - Next time I'll try using knackwurst. ;-)

Debby - that's what I love to hear. I wnat to make people hungry. I know that restraint is good for garlic, but sometimes going overboard is just as good.

Emily - No sausage like that where you are? I'm so sorry. Maybe I'll have to see if Migliorelli farm ships. Google them. I know they have a website. You never know.

Theresa - Thanks.

Adam - That's okay. Not everyone needs to get pervy about sausage.

Dandy - So you're into long sauasages? ;-) Thanks for the compliments!

noble pig said...

That is some serious sausage! Wow!

Sue said...

Seriously, when I saw that picture, I thought you were going to report on some medical procedure you had had.

That is such a good way to flavor kale, especially for non-kale lovers.

I also ALWAYS cook a pound of pasta for H and me.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Sauteed sausage, greens, and pasta? I'll eat it any day, any time!

Jeff said...

One freaking beautiful piece of meat you have there. It had to be said ;-) and god love you because you went spicy (I could keep making comments but well I find it is best to stop after 1).

Looks awesome!

Proud Italian Cook said...

Mmm, this sounds good, what a great combination. I love kale!