Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Sweet Treat of the Week - Good Old Fashioned Brownies

I'm back to THE BOOK.


As I've pointed out before, this book contains seemingly endless variations on one theme, whether that theme is cookies, bars, sheet cakes, tea cakes, or layer cakes. Of course that means there are quite a few brownies recipes. There are brownies with chocolate chunks, with nuts, with cream cheese. They rest of beds of cookie crusts or are topped with fudge and frosting. Almost every section of this book has multiple brownie or similar bar cookie recipe.

I decided to just check out the simplest brownie recipe in the book. It's called Supremely Fudgy Brownies. Part of my decision was simple economy. I already had all of the chocolate I would need right there in the house. It happened to be Scharffenberger chocolate, so I knew I couldn't go wrong. The other reason for my choice was pan size. Many of the brownies and bars in the book require 10" pans, which I don't have. This recipe was for a 9" one. Would these brownies be any better than any other brownie recipe I have made in the past?

The name doesn't lie. These were very fudgy. I could taste the two sticks of butter in the recipe. I didn't find them extraordinary though. They were brownies and quite good and quite rich. I've had ones that are just as good.

I did one stupid thing though. I forgot to put vanilla in them. I had the bottle right there on the counter while I was mixing everything up, but never actually opened it and poured out a spoonful. I wonder if that would have pushed the brownies into extraordinary territory. As Ina Garten always points out, chocolate on its own can be a little flat. A backup flavor can help give it more dimension.

If you're interested in seeing if you think these brownies will be the best in the world if you just remember the vanilla, please email me for the recipe.

6 comments:

Susan @ SGCC said...

Even though you didn't think they were the best, they still look pretty amazing! I've tried so many different brownie recipes over the years, but I think my favorite is still the one on the back of the Baker's chocolate box. It's fast and easy and has never let me down!

Steph said...

Those brownies do look supremely fudgy! I always forget to add vanilla to my recipes. It's not so bad when I forget it in chocolate recipes because there's still chocolate, but I even forget it in vanilla ones!

The Blonde Duck said...

You really think a teensy bit of vanilla would have helped? I'm always the person who ignores such instructions like "a bit of orange zest or nuts".

That's probably why my talented is in writing, not in culinary arts like you!

Theresa said...

They do look very fudgy. I always tend to forget vanilla too when it's right there in front of me. Your not the only one. Fudgy works for me.

Emily said...

They certainly look fudgy and delicious. If you find the ultimate brownie recipe, let me know.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Susan - You are right. That's a great recipe and so easy. I use it quite often when I want brownies in a snap.

Steph, Theresa and BD - I'm glad I'm not the only one. I don't know how much difference it would have made, but since I forgot it, I'm going to believe that it would have made a difference.

Em - If I ever find the ultimate brownie recipe, I suspect it will be on your blog!