Pages

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Sweet Treat of the Week - Just Under the Wire

Okay. I made my Sweet Treat this week for a Saturday night party. It's barely this week, but it still counts.


So what did the book have in store for me this time?


I made coconut blondies. I love blondies and I made a couple of different kinds last summer. I chose these because I have been obsessed with coconut lately. These are a little different from standard blondies because they have a chocolate cookie crust under them.



The cookie crust was a bit of a pain. It didn't always want to adhere to the blondie when I removed them from the pan. It did add another flavor dimension to the whole thing. This was one of the better recipes from the book.


Email me for the recipe if they look good to you.


I made a second dessert for the party as well. I decided hot August nights need ice cream. I made an ice cream that is a copy of one of my favorite ice creams at the Bellvale Creamery: Great White Way. It's white chocolate ice cream with raspberry swirl and dark chocolate chunks. I had some raspberry sauce in my freezer left over from the time my mother brought over Ina Garten's lemon cake and raspberry sauce.


There are chocolate chunks in this ice cream, I swear! They just kind of fell to the bottom.


White Chocolate Ice Cream with Raspberry Swirl and Chocolate Chunks

Ingredients
1 cup milk
2 cups heavy cream
7 egg yolks
2 tbsp sugar
8 oz. white chocolate, chopped
1 cup Ina Garten's Raspberry Sauce
4 oz dark chocolate bar, chopped

Bring milk and 1 cup of the cream to a boil. In a bowl beat the egg yolks and sugar until thick and creamy (about 2 minutes). Slowly and carefully pour the hot milk into the yolks and stir in quickly. Return the mixture to the pan. Cook until it thickens slightly (coats a spoon). DO NOT BOIL.

Remove from pan and stir in the white chocolate and the remaining cup of cream. Strain into a bowl and refrigerate until completely cold (this will take a few hours).

Freez in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. When it's close to ready, blend in the chocolate chips. Remove from ice cream maker and transfer to a container. Carefully blend in the raspberry sauce, using a knife to make swirls.

12 comments:

Adam said...

Great job on the blondies. The crust makes them 'confused' blondies to me, but I really agree with the dimension of flavor.

You forgot to put how they made you feel better after your horse incident :)

Sue said...

Wow! Yum. You get invited to a lot of parties, don't you? And to think, in my misspent youth, I used to hate white chocolate.

Donna-FFW said...

Delicious sounding ice cream... did you make Inas sauce yourself? Some of her stuff is on our supermarket shelves.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Adam - Confused blondies! That's too funny.

They made me feel better until the next day when Riddle was up to her old tricks again!

Sue - I am sort of over white chocolate. I used to like it but in recent years I just sort of see it for what it is, flavored fat. But it still works for some desserts.

Donna - Would you believe the raspberry sauce was something my mother made all the way back at Easter when she made it to top a cake she brought to dinner. I had a ton left over and I just stuck it in my freezer, figuring I'd eventually think of something to do with it.

Lo said...

OK -- these look fabulous. Confused, maybe -- but I'll bet they were tasty!! Awesome job, and way to do it quickly and effectively :)

The Duo Dishes said...

The blondies! Ah-ma-zing. You can't even share those with anyone because they look too good.

The Blonde Duck said...

I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE blondies!

Emily said...

Ha. I read this the other day and didn't comment. I love reading blogs, but I'm getting poor at commenting.

The bars look delicious, but I really love that ice cream. White chocolate and raspberry is SO good.

Bunny said...

They both look fantastic! I made ice cream a couple times this summer, I made the mistake of putting m&m's in the one batch. Hubby said they were like little frozen bee bee's! Won't do that again! LOL!!

Karine said...

Your ice cream sounds sssssoooo delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe :)

The Blonde Duck said...

Freda hasn't shared the recipe with me yet. As soon as she does, I'll share it!

Rachel said...

All I can say is "YUM"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your blondies look delicious!