Pages

Monday, August 31, 2009

Sweet Treat of the Week - This One's For The Boss

I apologize for the lack of a Sweet Treat last week. Once again, time and especially money were an issue. I've noticed all weekend that the blogs I read and follow have been quite active and I'm behind in my reading again. I must catch up soon!

We were invited for dinner to the home of Kevin's boss at his fabulous little weekend retreat in Westport CT (rather than gigantic apartment on Central Park West previously mentioned on this blog). He was entertaining some coworkers and clients in celebration of landing a really big website project. I, of course, can't be invited to someone's home without bringing along a dessert. When Kevin asked Head Honcho if I could bring something, the response was "chocolate", so of course I made it an official Sweet Treat and hit the book.


I chose my recipe purely for the convenience factor. I still had coconut left over from last week's blondies, so I chose another coconut bar.

This recipe was toffee, chocolate chip bars. The coconut-based bar cookie had dark chocolate chips and chocolate-covered toffee bars broken up into them.

I just had one problem. Heath bars for some reason are not readily available where I live. You can get them in CVS, but not in supermarkets. I didn't want to make two trips. I ended up with these.


This had lots of little, itty-bitty toffee bits throughout the chocolate. It was tasty, but the toffee didn't shine through as much. I had a similar problem when I wanted to replicate one of my favorite ice creams last summer and couldn't find Heath bars in the supermarket.


The bars were cooked pretty much like a brownie with butter melted and mixed with eggs and vanilla and stirred into the dry ingredients.


They were almost cake-like in texture and a little difficult to cut and remove from the pan. I liked them, but like many recipes from this book, wasn't bowled over by them. Kevin's coworkers felt differently though. They were the first things to go from the dessert table!


9 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

I think those make up for it. :) Can us non-bosses have one?

Emily said...

Yaaay! That's definitely a good sign. That chocolate looks really good. I bet these were great.

Adam said...

Hey the dessert table disappearing act is the most important part, but seriously how can you go wrong with brownies :) Glad the party went well, and I know what you mean about showing up with something. You just HAVE to :)

noble pig said...

Wow, I'm sure they loved them. We are all so critical of or desserts. I bet they were perfect.

Complaint Department Manager said...

Damn you! I had forgotten about the Tollhouse bars 'til now. There goes the weight loss.

Sue said...

Kevin should have gotten a raise the next day!

The Blonde Duck said...

I think you'll like who wins Coconut Queen...

Lo said...

It's always great when you can impress the boss :) And what better technique than with chocolate??

These look amazing. Always too bad when a recipe isn't quite up to expectations... but the good thing about desserts is that they're usually not bad, even if they disappoint a bit :)

The Duo Dishes said...

That's really nice chocolate on its own. Good recipe to test!