Pages

Friday, September 25, 2009

Good Ideas, Bad Ingredients

I bought some beautiful pork chops at the farmer's market over the weekend. These were free-range chops I bought from the same people who sold me that infamous sausage.


I wanted to do something fun with them. I had all sorts of suggestions from people such as just grilling them (which means trotting out the grill pan and filling my apartment with smoke) or coating them with parmesan (not going to work for the hubby). I realized I wanted something sweet, maybe a bit spicy. I didn't have much money to help me shop for new ingredients, so I raided my kitchen to see what I could come up with.

I sprinkled the chops with salt and pepper and browned them in a pan.


Then I glazed them with a mixture of:

1/4 cup orange juice
2 Tbl honey
1 tsp chipotle powder
1/4 tsp cumin
Pinch of salt

Then they went into a 400-degree oven for about 5 more minutes.


They look fine although not particularly special in this photo. The were good accompanied by some roasted yellow grape tomatoes, but here was the issue.

I don't know what made me buy this honey (it was Italian?). I had bought it a couple of weeks earlier and almost forgot about it. had never seen chestnut honey before. I was very curious. How would it differ from other honeys?

How did it differ? A lot! It's gross. Chestnut honey is nasty. It did no favors to my citrus-and-spice flavors in the glaze. I had hoped once the chops were cooked that the flavor would have mellowed out. Nope. It was as bad coming out of the oven as it was going in. Ick poo! Don't buy this stuff ever! It's way too expensive to be this bad.

Good thing the pork was wonderful because otherwise dinner would have been traumatic.

5 comments:

Sue said...

Wow! That's a huge shame about the honey. I never had that kind before, but that same brand's acacia honey is awesome.

I still remember my mother serving stuffed pork chops and even though she made it with stuffing mix (can YOU imagine? AND she was a good cook, she just liked convenience stuff),they were always good. You just put a bunch of stuffing in between 2 pork chops and call it dinner. Yum!

Adam said...

I've always like sweet and smoky pork for some reason. Great idea with the honey type glaze...

...but a bummer to find out it's gross. I bet sticking with good old clover is probably the way to roll :)

Donna-FFW said...

Your pork chops sound delicious. I will never buy that honey.. thanks for the heads up.

The Blonde Duck said...

Don't you hate it when you have such high hopes and they're dashed? At least the meat was good!

Peter M said...

Well, glad you could still eat the pork chops because the glaze sounds delish.

Poo-poo on chestnut honey.