Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

In Thailand They Weep

I'm having one of those weeks where budget is a big concern and I really need to conserve and reuse anything in my kitchen than I can.

In this case I happened to have some cilantro, a couple of hot peppers, and a part of a stalk of lemongrass left over from making my spicy Thai-style sweet potato soup. I decided that due to the leftovers, this week was now Thai Week, or perhaps it was Make a Thai Cry week.

What was my "Thai" recipe of choice?

Turkey burgers!


I blended those spicy seasonings into ground turkey in a way that would even make Rachael Ray cringe. Yes, I could have made them into sauce for chicken, but we had chicken for the past two days and we all know how much Kevin loves turkey burgers.

These were actually very tasty. The store was out of dark meat ground turkey, so I had to use that flavorless ground breast and the burgers were still good. I'd love to try them with beef.

I served it with a very nice salad, also in the Thai theme with mangoes and cucumbers and cilantro and lime.

Check out my veggies. I love that mandoline. I think I actually constructed the salad nicely. This would never have been done without the mandoline. I don't have the patiece or the knife skills (or I should say I don't have the patience that knife skills require).
See how pretty?

"Thai" Turkey Burgers

1 lb ground turkey (or ground meat of our choice)
1" piece of lemongrass, cut into manageable bits
1" piece peeled ginger cut in manageable bits
1 chili pepper (I only had jalapeno, but if you have a Thai chile, please use)cored and seeded
1 clove garlic
2 scallions (white part only)
1 small handful cilantro
2 tsp fish sauce
Juice of 1 lime

Place all ingredients in a food processor or other grinding device (I used the mini food processor that comes with my stick blender) except for turkey. Blend into a paste. Combine with turkey meat.

Divide meat into 4 patties. Cook according to your preferred method of cooking.

Mixed Veggie Salad

1 bell pepper
1 peeled cucumber
2 carrots
1 mango
Butter lettuce leaves
1/4 cup sesame oil
Juice of 1 lime
2 Tbl rice vinegar
2 Tbl honey (NOT chestnut honey)
1 Tbl fish sauce
1 small handful cilantro leaves
Green parts of scallions used above, diced

Cut pepper, carrots, mango, and cucumber into julienne strips.

Mix together the oil, lime juice, vinegar, honey, fish sauce, cilantro, and scallions. Place veggies in the dressing and let sit and soak in for a few minutes.

Serve on top of lettuce leaves.

8 comments:

Emily said...

Mmmm I like. This looks like a nice, flavorful, healthy dinner. These remind me of the Thai burgers that won the Build a Better Burger competition a few years back.

The Blonde Duck said...

Look how creative you are! That looks wonderful!

Bellini Valli said...

Turkey burgers are a favourite around here so love the Thai twist.

Adam said...

I'm currently thawing out ground beef as we speak...er write/read. Guess what I'm going to concoct up now? Thanks a million buddy... keep up the frugal ways, you're super creative with these :)

Donna-FFW said...

I wish I could be as creative as you when I have no funds. Looks great and qUite tasty! And your veggies sure do look pretty.

noble pig said...

You are so creative and budgeting helps that. This was an awesome meal!!

The Blonde Duck said...

I hope you had a good Halloween!

Amethy said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe and your tips as well, great help for me as a newbie in the kitchen, just starting ang enjoying cooking.