Pages

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Let's Talk Meatloaf!

Yay. While I was away visiting clients in Washington D.C. and Radnor, PA, Kevin got the tech guru in his office to fix our computer. I am virus free and terrified to ever download anything ever again because of obtaining another virus. I want a Mac! *awaits flames from the PC crowd*

Anyway, let's get to what I cooked for Kevin to eat while I was gone.

Meatloaf. Bleah! When I was a kid I hated most things made of ground meat. I suppose I had a little of the affliction that Cathy's son had, because I hated ground meat that cooked long enough for a crust to form around it. I didn't like burgers unless they were either chargrilled (because the smoky taste kind of took over the burger) or served rare (back in those days, it was okay to feed stuff like that to your kids). Well-cooked ground beef was just gross to me in just about any dish. I would eat meatballs because they had soaked up the taste of the sauce sufficiently (unlike many small children, I actually liked tomato sauce on my pasta). Meatloaf was forbidden. I hated the flavor and the texture. The only thing worse than ground beef was ground turkey.

Many years later I'm cool with ground beef in most forms, but I'm still not a meatloaf lover. My husband on the other hand, always liked it. He had that comfort food association with it. However, beef gives him a rumbly in his tummy. He is fine with turkey loaf. For some reason I don't think ground turkey tastes as bad as I thought it did when I was six, but then again, I don't think it has much taste at all. Making a good turkey loaf was one of the big cooking challenges I had to face when I first married Sir Pickypants. I had to make ground turkey taste better and make it taste not too much like traditional meatloaf.

My first special meatloaf recipe was the Feathers and Fruit Loaf. It's moist and flavorful and not too dense, but it's also rather sweet. Sometimes you want something more savory. That's what I was craving a few nights ago when I decided meatloaf would be a good thing to have around the house while I was gone. My inspiration? Mushrooms! I made a turkey-mushroom loaf.

Mushrooms and onions cook up first. (Apologies to the Complaints Department Manager for the onions.)


Add them to the mixture with the seasonings. Serve with roasted potatoes and garlic-butter-roasted broccoli,

It was a big hit with the hubby. He gave me far more praise than the usual, "Very good. Thank you." He really loved it.

This was a TERP-Worthy recipe, so I'm sharing it with you. I used wholewheat breadcrumbs, which gives it a very earthy flavor. If you want something less strong, feeel free to use regular crumbs or bread as you see fit.
Mushroom Meat Loaf

1 lb ground turkey
10 ounces cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 onion, diced
Olive oil for sauteeing
1 cup wholewheat bread crumbs
1 Tbl chopped fresh sage
1 Tbl chopped fresh thyme
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1-2 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
1-2 Tbl soy sauce
1 egg

Heat oven to 400 degrees.
In a skillet saute onions until soft. Add mushrooms until they are soft and give off their juices. Set aside to cool.

In a bowl mix together crumbs with herbs and salt. Add milk and allow to soften the crumbs up a bit. Mix in soy and worcestershire sauce.

When the 'shrooms are cool, add them to the crumbs. Give a final taste to make sure it's seasoned to your liking. Add the turkey meat and the egg and mix well. Shape into a loaf, place on a cookie sheet, and bake about 45 minutes to an hour.

4 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

TERP worthy, love it! Sounds like a nice loaf with the mushrooms!

Bellini Valli said...

I do love meatloaf, although cannot get my daughter to enjoy any of the comfort foods I love:D

Sue said...

Excellent tip about tasting for seasoning before you add the raw turkey. Crimini ARE ever so good, aren't they?

Steph said...

I've never actually had meatloaf before. I like that you made it with mushrooms and turkey.