Pages

Friday, November 13, 2009

First Meal on the New Stove

Look what I got!


My old stove was really getting me down. It was crusty and hard to clean and the handle was cracking off the oven door. It was time for a change. For a birthday present (back in July) SPP gave me a contribution towards a new one, but I never got around to ordering a new one till last week. It was hard finding the model I wanted from a place that would deliver it to me. I finally found a place right down the street from my office. I'm loving the lack of coils to clean around!

Getting this thing installed was no easy feat. I needed to get my super to install it, but when he came to my apartment to do so, he found that delivery men had actually cut the connecting wires that attached me old stove to the wall instead of unscrewing the panel and actually removing them properly. Super had to go out and purchase some new parts. Even though I was off of work, I wasn't able to get much done because I had to spend so much time sitting around the house waiting.

So anyway, it was Friday night and that means I don't want to put too much effort into cooking. I wanted something simple and tasty and would use up that aging pile of basil I had in the fridge and the can of tomatoes in the cabinet.

I opted for pasta shells stuffed with turkey and topped with the simplest tomato sauce. The turkey was flavored with spinach and basil pesto.

I love my spinach-basil pesto because it's better for me than traditional pestos (pesti?) due to the nutritional boost from the spinach, but it's not overpoweringly spinachy due to the strong flavor of the basil. I sub out some of the oil for lemon juice, which cuts the fat content a bit as well.

Stir it into ground turkey. Top it with sauce. Stuff and bake. Add some shredded mozzarella on top if you're not Sir Pickypants.



I had a hard time photographing this artisticially. I couldn't get the shells neatly on the plate. I swear they tasted better than they look here. They tasted pretty awesome actually. SPP agreed.

Spinach Pesto Turkey Stuffed Shells

1 lb ground turkey meat
1 pound large pasta shells
Shredded mozzarella (optional)

Sauce
2 Tbl olive oil
Pinch red pepper flakes
4 cloves garlic, minced
pinch red pepper flakes
1/2 cup white wine

Pesto (measurements are rough)
1 package baby spinach
1 cup fresh basil leaves
4-6 cloves garlic (depending on size and how much you like garlic)
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
Juice of 1 lemon
2 Tbl olive oil
1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan

Start by making the sauce. Heat the olive oiil in a pan. Add red pepper flakes and let them infuse. Add the garlic and cook till fragrant. Add the tomatoes and wine. Allow to cook about 30 minutes so flavors can blend.

Make the pesto. Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend till you have a gritty paste.

Heat oven to 350.

Mix the ground turkey with the pesto.

Cook the shells in boiling water about 5 minutes. You want them to still be firm. Put a little sauce at the bottom of a baking pan. Fill the shells with turkey pesto mixture and place in pan. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella if you're using. Spoon sauce over the top. Bake for 30 minutes.

14 comments:

Bellini Valli said...

Yay for new stoves and more creativity in the kitchen!!!

noble pig said...

Congrats on the stove. I think the shells turned out beautiful!

Adam said...

Congrats on your new awesome oven! She looks good and knows her way around food... my kind of wom...oven

Happy Weekend... take it easy and hope you stay dry :)

Donna-FFW said...

Lovin the new oven. Great dish to break it in.

Theresa said...

It's always great to break in a new oven and the creations that come out of them. This is my kind of dish.

The Blonde Duck said...

Oh hooray for you! And can I have some shells?

Peter M said...

Congrats on the new stove, Rachel but...you're gonna hate cleaning the ceramic top. I have one!

The Blonde Duck said...

Mason is about to find out all is not what it seems on Ladybug Island...

Sue said...

Congrats! It's so much more fun to cook on a good stove. AND you just reminded me to clean my own oven. (Self-clean does NOT mean NO effort).

That's quite unbelievable that the wires just got cut. Your super sounds super.

Yummy dinner. I think giant shells are so much fun.

CookiePie said...

YUM, those shells look so delicious! And congrats on the new stove!!

Emily said...

Yes! Congrats! I can't wait to see what you make with your new stove.

The shells look great. I love that they're so healthy and good for you.

The Blonde Duck said...

I've never had turkey meatballs. I am curious...

EZ said...

I'm sure it's going to make a great turkey! Did you try contacting my friend Al at Liebert's Royal Green? They can get just about any appliance known to man, will deliver and remove your old appliances and Al always gets me great prices. Just curious if you checked them out.

The Duo Dishes said...

New kitchen appliances can make your day. And the meal!