Pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A Little Housekeeping Update

I just wanted to let my readers know that I have just made TERP a little more search-friendly.

When I started TERP, I made my "recipes" very freeform. I started the blog with the idea that, "a recipe is just a story about food". In keeping with that line of thinking, my recipes were written like, "I cut up a chicken, added some spices, browned it in a pan, added some white wine..." My recipes were barely recipes. They were more like food streams of consciousness. Combine that with the fact that I didn't have photos in those days, there was no reason to wonder why I had no readers in the first few months!

I did eventually start putting my recipes in classic recipe format and eventually got a camera so I could photograph them, but I didn't catalog them well. I had posts tagged as "cooking", which might be either freeform recipes or links to other recipes, or else tagged as "recipes", which meant that the recipes were more explicit, or might also be linked to bloggers or websites.

I realized that if I wanted people to try my recipes, they had to find them. People don't want to look at a long list of assorted recipes. Cookbooks divide into chapters by recipe type. My blog should do the same.

I now have new categories that can help cross-reference the posts for easier viewing. I have these new categories:

Ingredient - You can now look for posts tagged as chicken, pasta, fruit, vegetables, etc.
Cakes
Cookies
Misc. Desserts
Pie (includes tarts)
Bars
Ice Cream
Barely Recipes - Anything freeform, written as a story, or "so easy you don't need a recipe"
Blogger Recipes - If I pilfered from your blog, you have your own category
Online Recipes - Posts where I linked to a recipe from a website

This was a big undertaking, but I'm glad I did it because I think it will make searching this site a bit easier. Enjoy.

11 comments:

noble pig said...

Good work my friend.

Donna-FFW said...

I think it is a wonderful idea. Definitely worth your time. Your pilfered recipes category.. love the name.

Bellini Valli said...

I love anything that makes it easier to search for delicious recipes.

Adam said...

Nice job on the organizing. I like the barely recipes idea. It's fun and easy :)

Have a good weekend... is it too early to say that... nah :)

The Blonde Duck said...

I shall troll about.

Sue said...

It's fantastic that you did that. Come over to my house and do that for me...

Bunny said...

Thanks for all that work just for us, we loved you with out it but this is great!

Bill Medifast said...

Such a huge process, but in the end it is really worth it! Thanks for doing this. Hopefully it brings in many more people to your blog.

Bill M.

Emily said...

Ooooh nice work! Thank you!

Lo said...

Great job! And trust me, I know how much work that took! Just the idea of retagging all of my posts makes my head spin! (Truth be told, just deciding on which tags to use makes me dizzy!) You are to be commended!

The Blonde Duck said...

I don't know if you'd like to be in my brain. You'd either be as goofy as me or horrified at all the random goofiness in my head...